Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need help finding text string in an Excel file

I ran a findstr command from a DOS prompt and it finds the word "proprietary"
in an Excel file.

When I open the Excel file and use Edit | Find it does not find
"proprietary" anywhere (even if I choose Within Workbook Look in Formulas,
Values, Comments). I have looked in the header and footer. Any idea where I
can find the word "proprietary" in this Excel file? I have been told it
needs to be removed.

Many thanks for your help,
Judy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you looked in:
the Code
Hidden Sheets (possibly very hidden)
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Judy Ward" wrote:

I ran a findstr command from a DOS prompt and it finds the word "proprietary"
in an Excel file.

When I open the Excel file and use Edit | Find it does not find
"proprietary" anywhere (even if I choose Within Workbook Look in Formulas,
Values, Comments). I have looked in the header and footer. Any idea where I
can find the word "proprietary" in this Excel file? I have been told it
needs to be removed.

Many thanks for your help,
Judy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If that does not work for you, then you could try opening the xls file with a
text editor. The results are a bit cryptic but it may give you a clue as to
where the word is.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Judy Ward" wrote:

I ran a findstr command from a DOS prompt and it finds the word "proprietary"
in an Excel file.

When I open the Excel file and use Edit | Find it does not find
"proprietary" anywhere (even if I choose Within Workbook Look in Formulas,
Values, Comments). I have looked in the header and footer. Any idea where I
can find the word "proprietary" in this Excel file? I have been told it
needs to be removed.

Many thanks for your help,
Judy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I just tried to look and see if there is any code. I clicked Alt+F11 to open
the VBE window. When I click on the VBAProject I get the message: "Project
is unviewable". Next I tried to record a macro and store it in the workbook
and got this message: "This command is not available in a shared workbook.
Unable to record."

I am not familiar with shared workbooks. The Excel file I am looking at is
Appendix A; there is also an Appendix B and C with the same "proprietary"
marking--that I can't find either.

As you can probably guess, the person who created these Appendices is not
longer here. Any suggestions on where I can look for the proprietary marking?

Thank you,
Judy

"Judy Ward" wrote:

I ran a findstr command from a DOS prompt and it finds the word "proprietary"
in an Excel file.

When I open the Excel file and use Edit | Find it does not find
"proprietary" anywhere (even if I choose Within Workbook Look in Formulas,
Values, Comments). I have looked in the header and footer. Any idea where I
can find the word "proprietary" in this Excel file? I have been told it
needs to be removed.

Many thanks for your help,
Judy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Project is unviewable means that the project is protected. You need a
password to open it. I assume you do not have the password? If not then you
might be in a bit of trouble here. Here is a link to some good information on
passwords in Excel...

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

You can still open the file with a text editor and scan through it that
way... You might get lucky and track down the word that way. You mihgt even
find the password stored as text in the file somewhere...

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Judy Ward" wrote:

I ran a findstr command from a DOS prompt and it finds the word "proprietary"
in an Excel file.

When I open the Excel file and use Edit | Find it does not find
"proprietary" anywhere (even if I choose Within Workbook Look in Formulas,
Values, Comments). I have looked in the header and footer. Any idea where I
can find the word "proprietary" in this Excel file? I have been told it
needs to be removed.

Many thanks for your help,
Judy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Unless it is just simply are able to unshare the workbook to view the
VBA Code.

You can do this by going to Tools _ Share Workbook, then uncheck the
box that reads "Allow changes by more than one user...", then try the
VB editor

Just an idea.

somethinglikeant

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks I forgot about that... I never share workbooks as I find that to be
much more problematic than it is worth...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"somethinglikeant" wrote:

Unless it is just simply are able to unshare the workbook to view the
VBA Code.

You can do this by going to Tools _ Share Workbook, then uncheck the
box that reads "Allow changes by more than one user...", then try the
VB editor

Just an idea.

somethinglikeant

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I took your suggestion and was able to find and delete the word "proprietary"
in a text editor. I have been told that this was text was hidden and I would
still like to know how to find text hidden in an excel header.

Thank you very much for responding,
Judy