Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
excel addict excel addict is offline

Default Repetitive Spreadsheet Formatting Automation

Hey there!

For my job have to do the following and I was wondering whether yo
guys could help me maybe automate this process instead of me having t
do it manually!

Here’s the “routine”

o I Receive, by email a zip file which contains sales data for ou
store, these files are named by the date (eg. 31122005) and come i
.rpt and .dat format.
o I extract the file eg. 04012006.rpt and extract to a folder where al
my previous records are kept
o I open the .rpt file in excel and then have to use the Text Impor
Wizard to sort the data in to columns
o Once this is done I then have to change the column width of all, ba
one, of the columns to 68 pixels wide and another single column to 11
pixels
o One of the columns is an EAN (or APN) number and I thus have t
format this column to display all 13 digits of the EAN and not
decimal number
o Three columns of data have to be have to be formatted to separat
thousands with a comma and also display the value with two cent digits
o Three rows of text have to be deleted
o Another three rows of text (always the same) has to be added
o One cell of data has to be moved from one side of the spreadsheet t
another
o I then have to change the page breaks
o Save the file as an .xls
o Print

I tried to do a macro, but my knowledge of macros is very extensive an
I found that I could only execute the macro on a specific Book that
had created the macro on.

I REAAAAAAALLY hope that you guys can help!

Thanks in Advance

--
excel addic
excel addict's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3009