Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Problem with formulas updating

If you only put the name of the file (and not the path) in the cell and the
file is open, then J.E.'s solution will work.

Producing the equivalent of

='[Myworkbook.xls]Sheet1'!G26

from
=INDIRECT("'[" & A1 & "]Sheet1'!G26")

if
Myworkbook.xls
alone is found in A1.

--
Regards.
Tom Ogilvy

"Cathy W" wrote in message
Tom, have you read all the posts....do you have another suggestion! The
workbook is acutally open. When the template opens, a open dialog appears
for them to select and open the file that they want to take the data

from -
it just minimizes itself as if it wasn't open. Then the name of that file
gets put in cell A1. Then in a formula I would like to say

=[a1]sheet1!g26
and return the value that is in cell G26 of the file path name from

a1...make
sense?

Thanks for your help.

Cathy

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

It should return

=K:\INDIVIDUAL DIRECTORIES\Woodford, Cathy\Daily Report\[dec
12.05.xls]dos1!g26

If you want It correct, but refreshingly, it won't make any difference

since
Indirect does not work with a closed workbook.

Tom Ogilvy

"Cathy W" wrote in message
Hi. Thanks again for the response. I am going to paste what is put

in
cell
A1 so that you get an idea of what's happening. The formula still

returns
#REF! error.

In cell A1, the path of the file the user selects in the open dialog

box
appears as the following:

K:\INDIVIDUAL DIRECTORIES\Woodford, Cathy\Daily Report\dec 12.05.xls

So then in cell E12 I want it to say =[a1]dos1!g26 which should return

the
following formula: =[K:\INDIVIDUAL DIRECTORIES\Woodford, Cathy\Daily
Report\dec 12.05.xls]dos1!g26 but it's like it's not picking up the

value
in
cell A1.

HELP! :-)

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

Yup - bad paste on my part:

=INDIRECT("'[" & A1 & "]Sheet1'!G26")

In article ,
"Cathy W" wrote:

Hi. Thanks for the response.

It gives me the error "That name is not valid" and highlights the

"'"
quote
in the formula.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote: