Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default What is this Strange Characet? Find/Replace

When I tried alt-0011, it didn't work.

You may end up using the macro.

You could use a helper column of cells with formulas:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(11)," ")

then drag down, copy|paste special|values over the original range and delete the
helper column of formulas.

(I'd try the macro--it looks quicker.)

D wrote:

BTW- I did a =CHAR(A1) on it and it comes back as 11.

So how do I do a find/replace on this thing now?
Thanks!

"D" wrote in message news:svapd.75121$EZ.36941@okepread07...
Hey guys-
Got a CSV file here that has an address field using a weird character to
separate the address line from the city/state/zip. The character is a
square box. I'm trying to do a find/replace on the thing, but, I don't
know what it is to be able to tell excel to find it. I've tried to
copy/paste it into the Find/Replace search box, but it won't recognize it.
Can someone tell me what this character is (is it a 'return' signal, a
tab, what?) so that I can replace it with a normal character in excel?
Thanks!

Dave Peterson