Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Bug? Multiple values in merged cells

That wouldn't necessarily be correcting an older version, it might just be a
'feature' introduced into a later version.

Bob

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote in message
I can reproduce in Excel 2003 SP1 and 2000 SP3 under Windows 2000 and
Excel XP SP2 under Windows Me.

Ron, are you sure you followed the directions correctly? It seems odd
that MS would correct in an older version and not in the latest version.

Jerry

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:42:29 -0800, "keepITcool"

wrote:

I found that merged cells can contain multiple values.

Steps to reproduce:

Type 1,2,3,4 in a1:d1
type sum(a1:d1) in e1

Select a1:b1 and merge
Warning : MultipleData, overwrite?
Say yes to merge

Select the merged a1:b1 cells
Copy
Select c1
PasteSpecial Formats

No warning.. no overwrite.

c1:d1 are now merged
BUT d1 still contains a value...
and the SUM of a1:d1 = 8 !!

Also happens with FormatPainter etc
Behaviour observed in xl97,xlXP and xl2003

Error checking will find no fault in the sheet...
and you can spend ages to find out WHY your cross
sums dont match!

(although now that i found this behaviour I'll might
have some use for it...)

I just went through the steps you outlined above.

E1 initially showed '10'

After going through the steps, E1 now shows a '2'.

In other words, I could not reproduce your problem on my system:

Windows XP Pro SP2; Excel 2002 SP3

--ron