Harlan Grove

"Mike Barlow" wrote...
I propose that a RANGE() function be added that is equivalent to
the existing ADDRESS() function or a shorthand equivalent to
CONCATENATE(ADDRESS(),":",ADDRESS()). Indirect addressing is
useful when dealing with real-world data of variable extent or
quality.

How INDIRECT has anything to do with variable data quality is at best
unclear.

INDIRECT(ADDRESS(u,v)&ADDRESS(x,y)) is always a mistake. There's a way to do
this using OFFSET($A$1,u-1,v-1,x-u+1,y-v+1).

How many wheels must Microsoft reinvent?

I further propose that a notation such as ADDRESS({$A$10},{$A$10})
and ADDRESS({{$A$10}}) be allowed as equivalent to
ADDRESS(ROW($A$10),COLUMN($A$10)) for additional notation
simplification when specifying indirect addresses or address
ranges. The second form above would be applicable as part of a
variable RANGE() function where one point is fixed. If all
points are fixed, then there is no point in using an indirect
range or address.

And once you learn OFFSET you'll find there's never a need for
INDIRECT(ADDRESS(..)).

That said, CELL("Address",$A$10) returns the string "$A$10". Again, how many
wheels must Microsoft reinvent?