DianeMcP

Just to clarify your thoughts below......I've put in "---" to show my
replies amongst the answers below....
--
Thanks,
Diane

"Max" wrote:

In F1, I have "38520" showing.

This is a date. If you format F1 as date, you'll see:17 Jun 2005

---This is the column on Sheet1 where you told me to put in the coding.

In F2, the number 2; in F6, the number 6, and in F7,
the number 7. Is this normal? What are they related to?

Think you've put the formulas in the wrong cells. All of the above F2, F3,
etc should be E2, E3, etc. The formulas are supposed to be In col E (from E2
down), not col F, re the earlier steps given:

Put in E2: =IF(D2="","",IF(D2=$F$1,ROW(),""))
Copy E2 down to say, E100 ..

Here's a sample file with implemented set-up:
http://flypicture.com/p.cfm?id=67949

(Right-click on the link: "Download File"
at the top in the page, just above the ads)

File: DianeMcP_newusers.xls

---My original workbook included different sheets. I took those sheets and
inserted them in column A as subjects, so I had to adjust your instructions
one column over. So I actually have Subject, Name, What, StartDate, Deadline
as my colunn headings in row 1.