Old June 16th 05, 11:02 PM
DianeMcP

Default Data from several worksheets

I've read some of the existing questions/answers ..... and I'd like to ask.....

I'm using Excel 2002/XP. I currently have one file (Task List) with 6
worksheets (Areas of Responsibility) and four columns (Name, What, Start
Date, Deadline). Each row is a different task.

I would like to be able to retrieve my file and request that it gives me a
new screen with all the tasks with a deadline of a specific date.

Can this be done? If yes, how?
I'm relatively new to Excel and do not know much about visual basic codes.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Diane

Old June 17th 05, 02:10 PM
Bernie Deitrick

Diane,

Your current spreadsheet architecture makes that difficult.

Instead, insert a new sheet, and on that sheet make 5 columns: Areas of
Responsibility, Name, What, Start Date, Deadline.

Then copy the tables from the 6 worksheets into the last four columns, one
below the other. In the first column, enter the name of the worksheet from
which you copied each section.

Do that for all 6 worksheets, then delete the original worksheets.

You will then have a database, and you can apply data filters to it, and
view your data any way you want, such as by deadlines of a specific date,
simply by selecting your table, then using Data | Filter... Autofilter.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Old June 17th 05, 11:42 PM
DianeMcP

Hi Bernie,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I did want you suggested and I don't really have to apply any Data |
Filters, because sorting by Dates will also give me all the items required by
the same day. Sorting doesn't give me a separate screen/worksheet that lists
any one date, but it will arrange my list so that the dates are listed
together.

I haven't been able to understand the language/coding required for applying
filters. If I did, however, want a report/sheet with only a specific date,
what would I have to put and where?

Is there a listing somewhere of codes/syntax to be used .... hopefully with
some sample data sheets and sample reports?

--
Thanks,
Diane

Old June 18th 05, 04:10 AM
Max

... If I did, however, want a report / sheet
with only a specific date,
what would I have to put and where?

One play which would deliver this ..

Assume the source data is now in Sheet1, cols A to D*, data from row2 down,
with the key col = col D ("DeadLine")
*Name, What, StartDate, DeadLine

Assuming 2 empty cols to the right, cols E & F

Put in F1: =IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1)

Put in E2: =IF(D2="","",IF(D2=$F$1,ROW(),""))

Copy E2 down to say, E100
to cover the max expected data range in cols A to D

(Leave E1 empty)

In Sheet2
----------
A1 will be reserved for input of the deadline of interest
Input a date into A1, say: 01-Jul-2005

Paste the same col headers into A22, viz.:
Name, What, StartDate, DeadLine

Put in A3:

=IF(ISERROR(SMALL(Sheet1!$E:$E,ROWS($A$1:A1))),"", INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,MATCH(SMA
LL(Sheet1!$E:$E,ROWS($A$1:A1)),Sheet1!$E:$E,0)))

Copy A3 across to D3, fill down to D101
(cover the same range as in col E in Sheet1)

Format cols C and D as dates

Sheet 2 will auto-extract only the rows from Sheet1 where the deadlines are
equal to the date input in A1. These will be bunched neatly at the top, with
blank rows below.

Adapt to suit ..

--
Rgds
Max

Old June 20th 05, 03:55 PM
DianeMcP

Hi Max,

I've put all the coding in my columns, but how do I tell it to do the
extraction.
I've checked all the coding (and see that some of it changes based on the
column that it's in - nice to see that happen automatically). Is there a
button to press or pull-down command?
--
Thanks,
Diane

Old June 20th 05, 04:29 PM
DianeMcP

Update: I went back and noticed that the equal sign was missing from your
first command for F1. When not in those columns, there are numbers showing
up in them. In F1, I have "38520" showing. In F2, the number 2; in F6, the
number 6, and in F7, the number 7. Is this normal? What are they related to?
--
Thanks,
Diane

Old June 21st 05, 12:29 AM
Max

In F1, I have "38520" showing.

This is a date. If you format F1 as date, you'll see:17 Jun 2005

In F2, the number 2; in F6, the number 6, and in F7,
the number 7. Is this normal? What are they related to?

Think you've put the formulas in the wrong cells. All of the above F2, F3,
etc should be E2, E3, etc. The formulas are supposed to be In col E (from E2
down), not col F, re the earlier steps given:

Put in E2: =IF(D2="","",IF(D2=$F$1,ROW(),""))
Copy E2 down to say, E100 ..

Here's a sample file with implemented set-up:
http://flypicture.com/p.cfm?id=67949

(Right-click on the link: "Download File"
at the top in the page, just above the ads)

File: DianeMcP_newusers.xls

--
Rgds
Max

Old June 21st 05, 02:42 AM
Max

In F2, the number 2; in F6, the number 6, and in F7,
the number 7. Is this normal? What are they related to?

Having taken care of the core bits earlier <g, here's some additional
clarification. Col E in Sheet1 is a helper criteria column which returns
arbitrary row numbers for those rows in Sheet1 which satisfy the "filter"
criteria (i.e. the deadlines which match with the deadline of interest input
in Sheet2's A1) and returns blanks ("") for other rows which don't satisfy.
These numbers: 2, 6, 7, ... etc are then read by the formulas in Sheet2
(from row3 down) to extract rows which satisfy the criteria nicely to the
top over there.

Is there a button to press or pull-down command?

For Sheet2's A1, instead of keying-in the deadline of interest, we could
create a data validation (DV) dropdown to select the date.

Try this:

Insert a new Sheet3
Enter in A1, say: 01-Jun-05
Copy A1 down to A214 to generate sequential dates
all the way to 31-Dec 2005

With A1:A214 selected, click inside the Namebox*, input a name: DateList,
press ENTER (this creates a named range for use in the DV
*the box with the drop arrow just to the left of the formula bar

In Sheet2:
Click Window Unfreeze Panes
(In Excel 97 - my version, DVs above/to the left of frozen panes will not
work. That's the reason for this precaution.)

Select cell A1
Click Data Validation
Under Allow: select "List"
Put in "Source:" box: =DateList
Click OK

Now when you click on A1, there should be a droplist appearing for you to
select the deadline of interest

Here's a revised sample file with implemented DV droplist:
http://flypicture.com/p.cfm?id=67997

(Right-click on the link: "Download File"
at the top in the page, just above the ads)

File: DianeMcP_newusers_2.xls
--
Rgds
Max

Old June 21st 05, 03:10 PM
DianeMcP

Just to clarify your thoughts below......I've put in "---" to show my
replies amongst the answers below....
--
Thanks,
Diane

"Max" wrote:

In F1, I have "38520" showing.

This is a date. If you format F1 as date, you'll see:17 Jun 2005

---This is the column on Sheet1 where you told me to put in the coding.

In F2, the number 2; in F6, the number 6, and in F7,
the number 7. Is this normal? What are they related to?

Think you've put the formulas in the wrong cells. All of the above F2, F3,
etc should be E2, E3, etc. The formulas are supposed to be In col E (from E2
down), not col F, re the earlier steps given:

Put in E2: =IF(D2="","",IF(D2=$F$1,ROW(),""))
Copy E2 down to say, E100 ..

Here's a sample file with implemented set-up:
http://flypicture.com/p.cfm?id=67949

(Right-click on the link: "Download File"
at the top in the page, just above the ads)

File: DianeMcP_newusers.xls

---My original workbook included different sheets. I took those sheets and
inserted them in column A as subjects, so I had to adjust your instructions
one column over. So I actually have Subject, Name, What, StartDate, Deadline
as my colunn headings in row 1.

Old June 21st 05, 03:45 PM
DianeMcP

I'm not sure if having that huge pulldown list for dates will be of any help.
It will sometimes take less time to enter a date than to find it on the
pulldown list.

My next question, however, is ......on Sheet two when, in A1, when I do
select a date, is there a special command to get a listing of deadlines for a
range of dates (say 17-Jun-05 to 4-Jul-05)?
--
Thanks,
Diane