A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scrolls



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 15th 06, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scrolls

I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have it scroll
as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same row/column
that my cursor is in.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...lic.excel.misc
Ads
  #2  
Old February 15th 06, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scrolls

maybe....

you may want to try Chip Pearson's Rowliner:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm


Indiana Jay wrote:
>
> I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have it scroll
> as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same row/column
> that my cursor is in.
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...lic.excel.misc


--

Dave Peterson
  #4  
Old February 16th 06, 02:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scro

I don't want some workaround macro, I want the feature built in.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> This has been previously posted here http://tinyurl.com/bhhnr
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips
>
> (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
>
> "Indiana Jay" <Indiana > wrote in message
> ...
> > I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have it

> scroll
> > as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same

> row/column
> > that my cursor is in.
> >
> > ----------------
> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow

> this
> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> >
> >

>
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=50c21b19-ae
> 38-4a89-a0a9-b17ffcf73a30&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc
>
>
>

  #5  
Old February 16th 06, 09:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scro

Well I hope you get your wish and sorry for trying to help.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

(remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)

"Indiana Jay" > wrote in message
...
> I don't want some workaround macro, I want the feature built in.
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > This has been previously posted here http://tinyurl.com/bhhnr
> >
> > --
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips
> >
> > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> >
> > "Indiana Jay" <Indiana > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have it

> > scroll
> > > as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same

> > row/column
> > > that my cursor is in.
> > >
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
> > this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
> > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > >
> > >

> >

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=50c21b19-ae
> > 38-4a89-a0a9-b17ffcf73a30&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc
> >
> >
> >



  #6  
Old February 16th 06, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scro

Thanks Bob for helping, I didn't mean for my response to sound ungrateful,
it's just that my intent was to suggest to Microsoft that this would be a
very useful feature for all to have.

I believe many people would use this feature, who have to work with large
amounts of data that spreads across a page, and can be difficult to follow
across with the naked eye.

I would like to turn on my cursor highlighting bar the same way I freeze
panes, or split screens. In fact, know that I think of it, the "highlighted
cursor bar" feature would be appropriately added to the Window menu.

All the best,

Jay



"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Well I hope you get your wish and sorry for trying to help.
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips
>
> (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
>
> "Indiana Jay" > wrote in message
> ...
> > I don't want some workaround macro, I want the feature built in.
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> > > This has been previously posted here http://tinyurl.com/bhhnr
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Bob Phillips
> > >
> > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> > >
> > > "Indiana Jay" <Indiana > wrote in message
> > > ...
> > > > I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have it
> > > scroll
> > > > as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same
> > > row/column
> > > > that my cursor is in.
> > > >
> > > > ----------------
> > > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

> the "I
> > > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

> follow
> > > this
> > > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

> then
> > > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >

>
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=50c21b19-ae
> > > 38-4a89-a0a9-b17ffcf73a30&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc
> > >
> > >
> > >

>
>
>

  #7  
Old February 16th 06, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default HELP!: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor

Dear Bob,

I tried this at work this morning and it was excellent! I really appreciate
the tip. However, as I do not use macros much and am not familiar with event
codes, when I went to print the highlight showed on the printout. ):

Is there a way to turn this off for printing purposes?

Thanks,

Jay






"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Well I hope you get your wish and sorry for trying to help.
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips
>
> (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
>
> "Indiana Jay" > wrote in message
> ...
> > I don't want some workaround macro, I want the feature built in.
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> > > This has been previously posted here http://tinyurl.com/bhhnr
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Bob Phillips
> > >
> > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> > >
> > > "Indiana Jay" <Indiana > wrote in message
> > > ...
> > > > I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have it
> > > scroll
> > > > as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same
> > > row/column
> > > > that my cursor is in.
> > > >
> > > > ----------------
> > > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

> the "I
> > > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

> follow
> > > this
> > > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

> then
> > > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >

>
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=50c21b19-ae
> > > 38-4a89-a0a9-b17ffcf73a30&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc
> > >
> > >
> > >

>
>
>

  #8  
Old February 16th 06, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor that scro

Jay,

We see the notice at the foot that says that it is a recommendation for MS
(and presumably they do take notice of these?), but we tend to assume that
although the poster is putting forward a suggestion, they would still like a
solution, at least until it does become a built-in.

I absolutely agree it would be useful, as proven by Chip developing his
add-in, and the number of times I have offered my solution to posters, but I
am not so sure is up there in MS's priorities.

Regards

Bob

"Indiana Jay" > wrote in message
...
> Thanks Bob for helping, I didn't mean for my response to sound ungrateful,
> it's just that my intent was to suggest to Microsoft that this would be a
> very useful feature for all to have.
>
> I believe many people would use this feature, who have to work with large
> amounts of data that spreads across a page, and can be difficult to follow
> across with the naked eye.
>
> I would like to turn on my cursor highlighting bar the same way I freeze
> panes, or split screens. In fact, know that I think of it, the

"highlighted
> cursor bar" feature would be appropriately added to the Window menu.
>
> All the best,
>
> Jay
>
>
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > Well I hope you get your wish and sorry for trying to help.
> >
> > --
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips
> >
> > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> >
> > "Indiana Jay" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > I don't want some workaround macro, I want the feature built in.
> > >
> > > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> > >
> > > > This has been previously posted here http://tinyurl.com/bhhnr
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > >
> > > > HTH
> > > >
> > > > Bob Phillips
> > > >
> > > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> > > >
> > > > "Indiana Jay" <Indiana > wrote in

message
> > > > ...
> > > > > I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have

it
> > > > scroll
> > > > > as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same
> > > > row/column
> > > > > that my cursor is in.
> > > > >
> > > > > ----------------
> > > > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the
> > > > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,

click
> > the "I
> > > > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

> > follow
> > > > this
> > > > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader

and
> > then
> > > > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >

> >

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=50c21b19-ae
> > > > 38-4a89-a0a9-b17ffcf73a30&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >

> >
> >
> >



  #9  
Old February 16th 06, 08:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default HELP!: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor

Yes that should be possible.

Change the highlighting code to this

'----------------------------------------------------------------
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
'----------------------------------------------------------------
ThisWorkbook.Names.Add "'" & Me.Name & "'!_HiLite", True

Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
With Target
With .EntireRow
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
With .FormatConditions(1)
With .Borders(xlTop)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlThin
.ColorIndex = 5
End With
With .Borders(xlBottom)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlThin
.ColorIndex = 5
End With
.Interior.ColorIndex = 20
End With
End With
With .EntireColumn
.FormatConditions.Delete
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
With .FormatConditions(1)
With .Borders(xlLeft)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlThin
.ColorIndex = 5
End With
With .Borders(xlRight)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlThin
.ColorIndex = 5
End With
.Interior.ColorIndex = 20
End With
End With

.FormatConditions.Delete
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 36
End With

End Sub

'This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be
'placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a standard
'code module. To do this, right-click on the sheet tab, select
'the View Code option from the menu, and paste the code in.


and add this printing code

Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
Dim hilite As Boolean
With ActiveSheet
hilite = False
On Error Resume Next
hilite = Evaluate(.Names(ActiveSheet.Name & _
"!__Hilite").RefersTo)
On Error GoTo 0
If hilite Then
.FormatConditions.Delete
End If
End With
End Sub


This is workbook event code.
To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet
(or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks),
select View Code from the menu, and paste the code

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

(remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)

"Indiana Jay" > wrote in message
...
> Dear Bob,
>
> I tried this at work this morning and it was excellent! I really

appreciate
> the tip. However, as I do not use macros much and am not familiar with

event
> codes, when I went to print the highlight showed on the printout. ):
>
> Is there a way to turn this off for printing purposes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > Well I hope you get your wish and sorry for trying to help.
> >
> > --
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips
> >
> > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> >
> > "Indiana Jay" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > I don't want some workaround macro, I want the feature built in.
> > >
> > > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> > >
> > > > This has been previously posted here http://tinyurl.com/bhhnr
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > >
> > > > HTH
> > > >
> > > > Bob Phillips
> > > >
> > > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> > > >
> > > > "Indiana Jay" <Indiana > wrote in

message
> > > > ...
> > > > > I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have

it
> > > > scroll
> > > > > as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same
> > > > row/column
> > > > > that my cursor is in.
> > > > >
> > > > > ----------------
> > > > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the
> > > > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,

click
> > the "I
> > > > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

> > follow
> > > > this
> > > > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader

and
> > then
> > > > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >

> >

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=50c21b19-ae
> > > > 38-4a89-a0a9-b17ffcf73a30&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >

> >
> >
> >



  #10  
Old February 16th 06, 10:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default ONCE MORE!: Excel should feature a highlighted row/column cursor

Bob,

If I can presume upon you one more time, and you have been so good.
Sorry, but I am new to this area of visual basic event codes.

When I pasted in the original code, I saved it, exited, and the highlight
bar showed up. I did not name it, and I do not know how to turn the feature
off. So,

1) I'm not sure where I would put the "printing code". I am assuming I
append it to the same code I pasted? And do I activate it as well?

2) Can I just "De-Activate" the first code so that I can use the worksheet
normally without the highlighted bar when I want to? Otherwise, the highlight
is always on once I activated it. I do not always want to see it, but I am
unsure what the event code needs to De-Activate. When I select that option it
seems to give me some sort of template that is looking for a new subroutine?
--------------------------------------------------------------
Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()

End Sub
--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your patience with me,

Jay

P.S. wouldn't this be a great option to turn on and off, like "gridlines" in
the Tools/Options "View" tab, and Window Options area



"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Yes that should be possible.
>
> Change the highlighting code to this
>
> '----------------------------------------------------------------
> Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
> '----------------------------------------------------------------
> ThisWorkbook.Names.Add "'" & Me.Name & "'!_HiLite", True
>
> Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
> With Target
> With .EntireRow
> .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
> With .FormatConditions(1)
> With .Borders(xlTop)
> .LineStyle = xlContinuous
> .Weight = xlThin
> .ColorIndex = 5
> End With
> With .Borders(xlBottom)
> .LineStyle = xlContinuous
> .Weight = xlThin
> .ColorIndex = 5
> End With
> .Interior.ColorIndex = 20
> End With
> End With
> With .EntireColumn
> .FormatConditions.Delete
> .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
> With .FormatConditions(1)
> With .Borders(xlLeft)
> .LineStyle = xlContinuous
> .Weight = xlThin
> .ColorIndex = 5
> End With
> With .Borders(xlRight)
> .LineStyle = xlContinuous
> .Weight = xlThin
> .ColorIndex = 5
> End With
> .Interior.ColorIndex = 20
> End With
> End With
>
> .FormatConditions.Delete
> .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
> .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 36
> End With
>
> End Sub
>
> 'This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be
> 'placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a standard
> 'code module. To do this, right-click on the sheet tab, select
> 'the View Code option from the menu, and paste the code in.
>
>
> and add this printing code
>
> Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
> Dim hilite As Boolean
> With ActiveSheet
> hilite = False
> On Error Resume Next
> hilite = Evaluate(.Names(ActiveSheet.Name & _
> "!__Hilite").RefersTo)
> On Error GoTo 0
> If hilite Then
> .FormatConditions.Delete
> End If
> End With
> End Sub
>
>
> This is workbook event code.
> To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet
> (or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks),
> select View Code from the menu, and paste the code
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips
>
> (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
>
> "Indiana Jay" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Dear Bob,
> >
> > I tried this at work this morning and it was excellent! I really

> appreciate
> > the tip. However, as I do not use macros much and am not familiar with

> event
> > codes, when I went to print the highlight showed on the printout. ):
> >
> > Is there a way to turn this off for printing purposes?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jay
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> > > Well I hope you get your wish and sorry for trying to help.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Bob Phillips
> > >
> > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> > >
> > > "Indiana Jay" > wrote in message
> > > ...
> > > > I don't want some workaround macro, I want the feature built in.
> > > >
> > > > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > This has been previously posted here http://tinyurl.com/bhhnr
> > > > >
> > > > > --
> > > > >
> > > > > HTH
> > > > >
> > > > > Bob Phillips
> > > > >
> > > > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> > > > >
> > > > > "Indiana Jay" <Indiana > wrote in

> message
> > > > > ...
> > > > > > I would like to highlight a row or column with my cursor and have

> it
> > > > > scroll
> > > > > > as I move my cursor so that I can see what items are in the same
> > > > > row/column
> > > > > > that my cursor is in.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > ----------------
> > > > > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

> the
> > > > > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,

> click
> > > the "I
> > > > > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
> > > follow
> > > > > this
> > > > > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader

> and
> > > then
> > > > > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > >

>
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=50c21b19-ae
> > > > > 38-4a89-a0a9-b17ffcf73a30&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >

>
>
>

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pivottable feature(?) in Excel 2003 SP-1 Greg Goodman Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 10 July 31st 06 01:20 PM
Highlight 1 cell in Excel & move mouse-stays highlighted - stop? Patriot Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 January 16th 06 11:49 PM
unhide menu bar in excel - just disappeared Sean Setting up and Configuration of Excel 11 December 4th 05 09:01 PM
MS Excel should have MS word feature. Usman Setting up and Configuration of Excel 2 November 24th 05 10:01 PM
Excel Installing feature Ams Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 30th 04 10:29 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.