Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Program.xls cannot be found error

Every time Excel opens I get an error message that advises it cannot find
Program.xls. After clicking OK on this error a second error comes up
advising it cannot find 'Files\Microsoft.xls. This occurs no matter how I
open Excel. If I log in as Administrator on the local domain I do not get
the error. I have Administrator rights on my computer both through the
local domain and the Main domain.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Weeden

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Program.xls cannot be found error

Hi Bob,

It sounds like there might be an issue with the default file location for Excel. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Open Excel and click on File in the top left corner.
  2. Click on Options at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Excel Options window, click on Save in the left-hand menu.
  4. Check the Default file location field to see if it is pointing to a valid location. If it is not, update it to a valid location.
  5. Click OK to save the changes and close the Excel Options window.
  6. Close Excel and reopen it to see if the error message still appears.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, you can try repairing or reinstalling Microsoft Office. Here's how:
  1. Close all Office applications.
  2. Open the Control Panel and click on Programs and Features.
  3. Find Microsoft Office in the list of installed programs and click on it.
  4. Click on Change at the top of the window.
  5. Select Repair and click on Continue.
  6. Follow the prompts to complete the repair process.
  7. If the repair process does not resolve the issue, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is generally caused by not having double quotes around the shortcut command
line.

You can try the usualy fix(es)

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"

Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

One more thing to try if none of the above brings joy.........

Go to StartSettingsFolderOptionsFile Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit select "Open" and Edit.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp/e if
you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:25:25 -0700, "R Weeden" wrote:

Every time Excel opens I get an error message that advises it cannot find
Program.xls. After clicking OK on this error a second error comes up
advising it cannot find 'Files\Microsoft.xls. This occurs no matter how I
open Excel. If I log in as Administrator on the local domain I do not get
the error. I have Administrator rights on my computer both through the
local domain and the Main domain.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Weeden

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I had already tried the unreg and re reg. I also tried uninstalling and
reinstalling the app. I tried deleting and recreating the file association
as admin domain following your suggestions and that did not work either. I
have done a search on my system and these two files do not exists even in
hidden or system folders. Any other ideas?

Bob Weeden

wrote:

Every time Excel opens I get an error message that advises it cannot find
Program.xls. After clicking OK on this error a second error comes up
advising it cannot find 'Files\Microsoft.xls. This occurs no matter how I
open Excel. If I log in as Administrator on the local domain I do not get
the error. I have Administrator rights on my computer both through the
local domain and the Main domain.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Weeden

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No more suggestions from me.

At least one of those three should have solved the problem, so I am now out of
ideas.

If there are no double quotes in the command line, you will get the messages you
see.

Try opening from StartRun by entering this.......

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE"

Gord

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:20:04 -0700, "R Weeden" wrote:

I had already tried the unreg and re reg. I also tried uninstalling and
reinstalling the app. I tried deleting and recreating the file association
as admin domain following your suggestions and that did not work either. I
have done a search on my system and these two files do not exists even in
hidden or system folders. Any other ideas?

Bob Weeden

.. .

wrote:

Every time Excel opens I get an error message that advises it cannot find
Program.xls. After clicking OK on this error a second error comes up
advising it cannot find 'Files\Microsoft.xls. This occurs no matter how I
open Excel. If I log in as Administrator on the local domain I do not get
the error. I have Administrator rights on my computer both through the
local domain and the Main domain.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Weeden

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have exactly the same problem, and the suggested fixes do not work.

The messages are displayed whenever excel is opened, be it via a menu, short
cut or file.

It started after changing the domain, so it could be a permissions problem.

The two messages refer to 'c:Program.xls' and 'Files\Microsoft.xls'. Excel
is in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11' and the two files are
first two space seperted parts of the path, which is another clue.

I think excel is getting confused and is trying to use files that do not
exist.

"R Weeden" wrote:

Every time Excel opens I get an error message that advises it cannot find
Program.xls. After clicking OK on this error a second error comes up
advising it cannot find 'Files\Microsoft.xls. This occurs no matter how I
open Excel. If I log in as Administrator on the local domain I do not get
the error. I have Administrator rights on my computer both through the
local domain and the Main domain.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Weeden

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Weeden View Post
Every time Excel opens I get an error message that advises it cannot find
Program.xls. After clicking OK on this error a second error comes up
advising it cannot find 'Files\Microsoft.xls. This occurs no matter how I
open Excel. If I log in as Administrator on the local domain I do not get
the error. I have Administrator rights on my computer both through the
local domain and the Main domain.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Weeden
I found and fixed the problem - at least on my computer.

The problem is with the Add-ins when they start up. The offending Registry keys can be found he
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options

And each Addin has a Name of "OPEN#"; for example, OPEN, OPEN1, OPENn.

I have four Addin's opening this way and Two of them do not have the double quotes ("") around the Addin path. Here were mine:

OPEN1 C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\Analysis\ATPVBAEN. XLA
OPEN2 C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\HTML.XLA

I wrapped the command and file names in double quotes like this:

OPEN1 "C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\Analysis\ATPVBAEN. XLA"
OPEN2 "C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\HTML.XLA"

Problem gone.

I hope this helps others....

Glenn
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Mulno View Post
I found and fixed the problem - at least on my computer.

The problem is with the Add-ins when they start up. The offending Registry keys can be found he
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options

And each Addin has a Name of "OPEN#"; for example, OPEN, OPEN1, OPENn.

I have four Addin's opening this way and Two of them do not have the double quotes ("") around the Addin path. Here were mine:

OPEN1 C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\Analysis\ATPVBAEN. XLA
OPEN2 C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\HTML.XLA

I wrapped the command and file names in double quotes like this:

OPEN1 "C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\Analysis\ATPVBAEN. XLA"
OPEN2 "C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\HTML.XLA"

Problem gone.

I hope this helps others....

Glenn
IT REALLY DID THE TRICK FOR ME!
Thanks Glen
Junior Member

[quote=I found and fixed the problem - at least on my computer.

The problem is with the Add-ins when they start up. The offending Registry keys can be found he
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options

And each Addin has a Name of "OPEN#"; for example, OPEN, OPEN1, OPENn.

I have four Addin's opening this way and Two of them do not have the double quotes ("") around the Addin path. Here were mine:

OPEN1 C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\Analysis\ATPVBAEN. XLA
OPEN2 C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\HTML.XLA

I wrapped the command and file names in double quotes like this:

OPEN1 "C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\Analysis\ATPVBAEN. XLA"
OPEN2 "C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\HTML.XLA"

Problem gone.

I hope this helps others....

Glenn[/QUOTE]

Thanks Glen, it solved the problem for me.
Junior Member

[...]

Thank you Glenn !! Problem gone here too

Last edited by Sylve : March 6th 09 at 09:00 AM