Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ncrowley

Default Changing a letter, to a number???

I have started a spreadsheet for genetic data. I have 5 columns of data
with hundreds of entries. I used an "x" to represent entries relating
to the 5 columns. The problem is I should have used 1's and 2's, so I
could total them up and run formulas on them. Is there any way to make
the letter "x" turn into a number 1 or 2? I was just wondering about
the IF statement, will that do it????

Thanks,
Nick

--
ncrowley
ncrowley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28955

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You could use an =if() statement, but how do you know which to use?

or maybe you could just
select your range
Edit|Replace
what: x
to: 1 (or 2??)
replace all

ncrowley wrote:

I have started a spreadsheet for genetic data. I have 5 columns of data
with hundreds of entries. I used an "x" to represent entries relating
to the 5 columns. The problem is I should have used 1's and 2's, so I
could total them up and run formulas on them. Is there any way to make
the letter "x" turn into a number 1 or 2? I was just wondering about
the IF statement, will that do it????

Thanks,
Nick

--
ncrowley
ncrowley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28955
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=486837

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Here are a couple options:

You could leave the x's and use COUNTIF and/or SUMIF functions:
Example:
=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"x")
will count the number of cells in A1:A100 that contain an x.

Alternatively, you could.....
-Select the range of cells
-EditReplace
\Find what: x