Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to sort entire spreadsheet by one column sort

I just downloaded a spreadsheet, and it's(the entire spreadsheet) currently
sorted alphabetically by column C. I'd like to sort it by the items in
column A, but I don't want to just sort column A, I want the sort to include
each row (headed by the word in column A) that stretches across columns A-H.

Could someone show me how this is done...

Thanks,

jc

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to sort entire spreadsheet by one column sort

Sure, I can help you with that!

Here are the steps to sort the entire spreadsheet by one column:
  1. Click on any cell within the data range that you want to sort.
  2. Go to the "Data" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Sort" button.
  4. In the "Sort" dialog box that appears, select the column that you want to sort by from the "Sort by" drop-down list. In your case, select column A.
  5. Choose whether you want to sort in ascending or descending order by selecting the appropriate option under "Order".
  6. Make sure that the "My data has headers" checkbox is checked if your data has headers (i.e. column labels).
  7. Click on the "Options" button.
  8. In the "Options" dialog box, make sure that the "Sort left to right" option is selected if you want to sort by row instead of by column.
  9. Click "OK" to close the "Options" dialog box.
  10. Click "OK" to close the "Sort" dialog box.

Your spreadsheet should now be sorted by column A, with each row that stretches across columns A-H sorted accordingly.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select Columns A to H and DataSort

In the "sort by" pick Column A or its title and ascending or
descending.

No need to Freeze Panes................just specify that "my data has
a header"

If you don't get what you want, just Undo.............do not save

Gord

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:00:53 -0800, "jbclem"
wrote:

I just downloaded a spreadsheet, and it's(the entire spreadsheet) currently
sorted alphabetically by column C. I'd like to sort it by the items in
column A, but I don't want to just sort column A, I want the sort to include
each row (headed by the word in column A) that stretches across columns A-H.

Could someone show me how this is done...

Thanks,

jc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Freezing Panes does not guarantee the headings won't sort.

You must also have "my data range has header row" checkmarked.

Gord

"jbclem" wrote in message
I just downloaded a spreadsheet, and it's(the entire spreadsheet)

currently
sorted alphabetically by column C. I'd like to sort it by the items in
column A, but I don't want to just sort column A, I want the sort to

include
each row (headed by the word in column A) that stretches across columns

A-H.

Could someone show me how this is done...

Thanks,

jc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Selecting the column headers will select the entire columns so no need
to do any more than that.

Gord

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 03:18:47 -0800, "jbclem"
wrote:

Do I just select the column headers (A to H), or do I select the entire
spreadsheet below those headers also?

.. .