Junior Member

Default How do I use letters to represent numbers?

what i am looking for is
k=1000
M=1000000
G=1000000000
m=.001
....ect

i then what to be able to use this in calculations
for example
5k +1k = 6000

i am trying to do this to make it easier to input the data and easier to read, the numbers get too big and i find i have to count places alot so i know what i am looking at

thank you in advance for you help

excel_noob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"excel_noob" wrote:
Subject: How do I use letters to represent numbers?

Kinda light in details. For numbers from 0 to 25 in A1, for uppercase
letters, use:

CHAR(65+A1)

For lowercase letters, use:

CHAR(97+A1)

For numbers that might be larger than 25, use base-26 arithmetic. For
example, numbers from 0 to 675 can be represented by the 2-letter
combinations formed as follows:

CHAR(65+INT(A1/26))&CHAR(65+MOD(A1,26))

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeu2004[_2_] View Post
"excel_noob" wrote:

Kinda light in details. For numbers from 0 to 25 in A1, for uppercase
letters, use:

CHAR(65+A1)

For lowercase letters, use:

CHAR(97+A1)

For numbers that might be larger than 25, use base-26 arithmetic. For
example, numbers from 0 to 675 can be represented by the 2-letter
combinations formed as follows:

CHAR(65+INT(A1/26))&CHAR(65+MOD(A1,26))

what i mean is that i want to input some value into a cell i.e. 6.6k which equals 6600 and in another 26mA which equals .026A for example. I then want to be able to use that in another calculation.
6.6k*26m which equals 171.6
the actual calculation does not need the k or m, but i do want to be able to just select the cell that holds the 6.6k and 26m for my calculations

Junior Member

Default Letter to Represent a Value

Try this:

1. Type a letter in cell A1 and its corresponding value in cell B1. For example, "x" in A1 and "3" in B1.

2. Repeat the process until you enter all letters and their corresponding values, with one letter and value per row. For example, A2 can take "y" and B2 can take "5."

3. Select a cell where you want to insert the value represented by the letter.

4. Type in the formula bar: =LOOKUP("letter",Af:Bl) Replace "letter" with the letter that represents the value you want to insert into the cell. Replace "Af" with the first cell that holds a letter and "Bl" with the last cell that holds a value. For example, if you defined six letters and their variables in the first six rows and wanted to insert the value of "x" in another cell, you would type "=LOOKUP("x",A1:B6)". Press "Enter" to display the formula's result.

5. Use the formula from Step 5 as an argument if you plan to use the letters as part of other functions. For instance, this function adds x and y from the examples above and displays the result, 8, in the selected cell: =SUM(LOOKUP("x",A1:B6),LOOKUP("y",A1:B6))

Hope this helps. But, if you need more assistance, visit https://www.apps4rent.com

Regards,
Jerry M