Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
H H is offline

Default #Div/0

Hi - is there a way to avoid getting this result #DIV/0? Can I divide and get
a line or something instead when there is nothing to divide by?

=B5/A5?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Here's one that's even more generic, but a little more dangerous - it
disregards virtually all errors, including divide by zero:
=IF(ISERR(B5/A5),"",B5/A5)
note that you can put something in there to show when it did have a problem
(most likely a divide by zero:
=IF(ISERR(B5/A5),"---",B5/A5)

"H" wrote:

Hi - is there a way to avoid getting this result #DIV/0? Can I divide and get
a line or something instead when there is nothing to divide by?

=B5/A5?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
H H is offline

Hey thanks -- is there a way to do something like this for - I'm getting the
#Div/0 on a few cuz T is 0
=+(X2/T2)*12

"H" wrote:

Hi - is there a way to avoid getting this result #DIV/0? Can I divide and get
a line or something instead when there is nothing to divide by?

=B5/A5?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"H" wrote:
is there a way to do something like this for - I'm getting the
#Div/0 on a few cuz T is 0
=+(X2/T2)*12

=if(T2=0, "", 12*X2/T2)

That results in a cell that appears blank if T2 is zero. Alternatively,
replace "" with anything else you wish, for example 0.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

I second Bob's comment on your other post - please post a question to only
one newgroup at a time.

You have plenty of answers between your two post, but let me encourage you
not to use the
=+(X2/T2)*12 syntax

First you don't need both = and + and in fact you should use only = to start
your formulas. =- is OK but not =+ It doesn't affect the formula results
but it is extra typing, takes extra memory, and is bad style.

Second =X2/T2*12 does the same calculation as your. So the parentheses are
not necessary here.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"H" wrote:

Hi - is there a way to avoid getting this result #DIV/0? Can I divide and get
a line or something instead when there is nothing to divide by?

=B5/A5?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:
Second =X2/T2*12 does the same calculation as your.
So the parentheses are not necessary here.

Well, if we're nitpicking style....

I wholly agree with deprecating unneeded parentheses when they encumber
readability.

But I would say that 12*X2/T2 is better than X2/T2*12 in most contexts.

Even though they are functionally equivalent, thanks to the equal precedence
of / and *, I would say that X2/T2*12 is easy to misinterpret, and it is
easy to raise questions about the intent ( X2/(T2*12)? ).

If I were to express X2/T2*12 in that order, I would either write X2/T2 * 12
(added spacing) or, in fact, (X2/T2)*12.

"H" wrote:

Hi - is there a way to avoid getting this result #DIV/0? Can I divide
and get
a line or something instead when there is nothing to divide by?

=B5/A5?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
H H is offline

what about this when one of the columns has #div/0
=+((X807/T807)*12)/V807

"H" wrote:

Hi - is there a way to avoid getting this result #DIV/0? Can I divide
and get
a line or something instead when there is nothing to divide by?

=B5/A5?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"H" wrote:
what about this when one of the columns has #div/0
=+((X807/T807)*12)/V807

Use JLatham's generic solution (well, almost), namely:

=if(iserror(12*X807/T807/V807), 0, 12*X807/T807/V807)

or

=if(iserror(12*X807/T807/V807), "", 12*X807/T807/V807)

See the help page for Is Functions for the difference between ISERR and
ISERROR. It's a judgment call.

Caveat emptor: If you start returning "" in some cells, it would be prudent
to allow for references to such cells in your formulas. So:

=if(iserror(12*n(X807)/n(T807)/n(V807)), "", 12*n(X807)/n(T807)/n(V807))

what about this when one of the columns has #div/0
=+((X807/T807)*12)/V807

[.....]

"H" wrote:

Hi - is there a way to avoid getting this result #DIV/0? Can I
divide
and get
a line or something instead when there is nothing to divide by?

=B5/A5?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
H H is offline

Thank you for all of the tips-- this works great -- sorry I had another post
out there I can't find it so I had to start over.. (my bad) :( ..

I didn't know if there is a way to see all of your posts?