Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MK MK is offline

Default charting problem in Excel 2007

MS has identified a problem with very slow charting in Excel 2007 for certain
conditions. A hotfix has apparently been developed to solve this problem.
Here is the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938538/en-us

My question is: how do you get the hotfix? I have struggled with very very
slow charting for several months and would very much like to get it. But I
don't know how to get it without going through a paid MS support number. Any
suggestions from MS MVP's or real MS folks?

Thanks,
mk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

From the page:
To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Customer Support
Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer
Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit
the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support
Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support
calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a
specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply
to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the
specific update in question.

"mk" wrote:

MS has identified a problem with very slow charting in Excel 2007 for certain
conditions. A hotfix has apparently been developed to solve this problem.
Here is the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938538/en-us

My question is: how do you get the hotfix? I have struggled with very very
slow charting for several months and would very much like to get it. But I
don't know how to get it without going through a paid MS support number. Any
suggestions from MS MVP's or real MS folks?

Thanks,
mk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I contacted the MS Support phone number, I mentioned the KB number, and
they emailed me a link to the hotfix. I had to assure them that I understood
the hotfix had not been exhaustively tested. Relatively painless.

I experienced only a small incremental improvement in charting with the
hotfix installed.I must point out that I did not systematically test the
hotfix, but just tried with one of the big chart files that had given me
fits. YMMV.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

From the page:

"mk" wrote:

MS has identified a problem with very slow charting in Excel 2007 for
certain
conditions. A hotfix has apparently been developed to solve this
problem.
Here is the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938538/en-us

My question is: how do you get the hotfix? I have struggled with very
very
slow charting for several months and would very much like to get it. But
don't know how to get it without going through a paid MS support number.
Any
suggestions from MS MVP's or real MS folks?

Thanks,
mk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Jon, very helpful. Especially info on how much improvement was
achieved. You can ignore my request for "how did you get the Hotfix" that I
posted elsewhere <g, this obviously takes care of that information.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

When I contacted the MS Support phone number, I mentioned the KB number, and
they emailed me a link to the hotfix. I had to assure them that I understood
the hotfix had not been exhaustively tested. Relatively painless.

I experienced only a small incremental improvement in charting with the
hotfix installed.I must point out that I did not systematically test the
hotfix, but just tried with one of the big chart files that had given me
fits. YMMV.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

From the page:

"mk" wrote:

MS has identified a problem with very slow charting in Excel 2007 for
certain
conditions. A hotfix has apparently been developed to solve this
problem.
Here is the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938538/en-us

My question is: how do you get the hotfix? I have struggled with very
very
slow charting for several months and would very much like to get it. But
don't know how to get it without going through a paid MS support number.
Any
suggestions from MS MVP's or real MS folks?

Thanks,
mk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I called to get access to the hotfix, MS attempted to tell me I needed
to pay for support, etc. As soon as I mentioned the word "hotfix" the
payment discussion ended and I was transferred to support and had the e-mail
for the hotfix in minutes. The hotfix worked great for me and has changed
Excel 2007 from completely unusable to what I would expect.