Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 2 separate passwords (both valid) to open file

Hello,

I have many files (flexitime calculations), which are used by different
users, and everyone has a separate password to open his/her file (f.e. user1,
user2... user40). I am supervising how these 40 files are filled in and I
know all the passwords. But I would like to ask, if it is possible to have
like "a second" password, that is valid for all 40 files, and the same for
all of them (f.g. admin) That is - that I could open all the files with the
same password (admin) and users can open their files using there passwords
(user1, user 2 ... user40).
Thank you,
Regi
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Only one password to open per file.

If this is to make your life easier so that you don't have to specify the
password for each file when you open it, maybe you could create a workbook with
a list of filenames and passwords in a worksheet.

Then you could open this workbook first--and it would open all the other files
based on a click of a button?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your replay.
The problem is that I wanted to create a separate worksheet which contains
the information from these 40 files, but it does not update the information
until I enter password (one of 40, which I do not remember and have to look
into my notes, it would be easier to remember only one password :)
Even if I use <import data, still I need to enter one of these 40
passwords...)
regina

regi wrote:

Hello,

I have many files (flexitime calculations), which are used by different
users, and everyone has a separate password to open his/her file (f.e. user1,
user2... user40). I am supervising how these 40 files are filled in and I
know all the passwords. But I would like to ask, if it is possible to have
like "a second" password, that is valid for all 40 files, and the same for
all of them (f.g. admin) That is - that I could open all the files with the
same password (admin) and users can open their files using there passwords
(user1, user 2 ... user40).
Thank you,
Regi

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So you could have a workbook that opens all the workbooks so that your formulas
could be updated (or you could do your copy|pasting.

If you create a workbook with a single sheet that has the names of the files in
A2:A41 and passwords in B2:B41 (headers in row 1), you could run a macro that
looks like this:

Option Explicit
Sub testme01()

Dim myRng As Range
Dim myCell As Range
Dim wkbk As Workbook

With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("sheet1")
Set myRng = .Range("a2", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
End With

For Each myCell In myRng.Cells
Set wkbk = Nothing
On Error Resume Next
Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=myCell.Value, _
Password:=myCell.Offset(0, 1).Value)
On Error GoTo 0
If wkbk Is Nothing Then
myCell.Offset(0, 2).Value = "Error opening this file!"
Else
myCell.Offset(0, 2).Value = "ok"
End If
Next myCell

End Sub

Now you'll have the workbooks open and you can do what you want.