rlaw68

Default Find first positive value in row 3 and return date from row 1

Hi everyone, so here's the issue:

I have a sheet that tracks cash flow in & out of a business unit. In
row 1 I have a series of dates [e.g. 7/14/05, 7/21/05, 7/28/05 etc.]
and in row 3 I have a series of values, starting out negative but at
some point (depending on a couple of variables) turning positive [e.g.
(1346.02), (574.16), 211.86].

What I need to do is in cell A5, return the date from row 1 that
corresponds to the first positive value in row 3. In the above example
it would return 7/28/05

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
rlaw68

--
rlaw68
rlaw68's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5744

Bob Phillips

=INDEX(1:1,,MIN(IF(3:30,COLUMN(3:3))))

This is an array formula so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"rlaw68" wrote in
message ...

Hi everyone, so here's the issue:

I have a sheet that tracks cash flow in & out of a business unit. In
row 1 I have a series of dates [e.g. 7/14/05, 7/21/05, 7/28/05 etc.]
and in row 3 I have a series of values, starting out negative but at
some point (depending on a couple of variables) turning positive [e.g.
(1346.02), (574.16), 211.86].

What I need to do is in cell A5, return the date from row 1 that
corresponds to the first positive value in row 3. In the above example
it would return 7/28/05

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
rlaw68

--
rlaw68
rlaw68's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389607

Biff

Hi!

Dates in A1:C1

Values in A3:C3

Enter this formula in A5 using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(A1:C1,MATCH(TRUE,A3:C30,0))

Biff

"rlaw68" wrote in
message ...

Hi everyone, so here's the issue:

I have a sheet that tracks cash flow in & out of a business unit. In
row 1 I have a series of dates [e.g. 7/14/05, 7/21/05, 7/28/05 etc.]
and in row 3 I have a series of values, starting out negative but at
some point (depending on a couple of variables) turning positive [e.g.
(1346.02), (574.16), 211.86].

What I need to do is in cell A5, return the date from row 1 that
corresponds to the first positive value in row 3. In the above example
it would return 7/28/05

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
rlaw68

--
rlaw68
rlaw68's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389607

rlaw68

Thanks to Bob & Biff for the suggestions. I ended up using a modified
version of Bob's as my actual calculation/range was a bit more complex
than my example. I appreciate the quick response.

Sincerely,
rlaw68