Alex

Default my formatting changes do nothing to the data

I used SSN formatting for cells and nothing happened to the data in one
column, but when is used the same formatting for another column of data, the
data immediately changed to the SSN format. Why?
Dave Peterson

If the SSN is stored as real numbers, then the number format will work nicely.

If the SSN was entered as text, then the number format won't change it.

You may have to reformat the cell as General (or some number) and then reenter
the value (without the dashes).

--

Dave Peterson

Mangus Pyke

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:03:03 -0700, "Alex"
wrote:

I used SSN formatting for cells and nothing happened to the data in one
column, but when is used the same formatting for another column of data, the
data immediately changed to the SSN format. Why?

An even quicker solution is to select the column, click Data -- Text
to Columns, check Fixed Width and hit Finished. The conversion to
numeric values (if they were text) will continue to use the format
you'd previously applied (i.e. SSN formatting) so you save a step by
not having to go back and change it to SSN formatting again.
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Alex

Mangus,

It worked!!!! Thanks a lot.

I'm importing the results of an AS/400 query into Excel, editing the format,
then merging that data into form letters. It's been a challenge, but I think
I've got it thanks to folks like you and Dave.

Mangus Pyke

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:00:01 -0700, "Alex"
wrote:

Mangus,

It worked!!!! Thanks a lot.

I'm importing the results of an AS/400 query into Excel, editing the format,
then merging that data into form letters. It's been a challenge, but I think
I've got it thanks to folks like you and Dave.

Good deal!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend-

Mangus-