kiranmani

Default How to get number of rows which match criteria

Coloum A Column B
Closed Settings
Open Settings
Closed Prametes
Open UI

I want to calculate Number of rows which have in Column A Closed and in
Column B Settings . Please help ..
Roger Govier

One way would be
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100="Closed"),(B2:B100="Settings"))
Change ranges to suit

--
Regards
Roger Govier
"kiranmani" wrote in message
Coloum A Column B
Closed Settings
Open Settings
Closed Prametes
Open UI

I want to calculate Number of rows which have in Column A Closed and in
Column B Settings . Please help ..

Roger Govier

Hi Bob

Thanks for that.
However, I am confused (nothing new there!!).
Normally I use the "*" in the SUMPRODUCT formula and would normally have
submitted
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100="Closed")*(B2:B100="Settings"))
which works fine.

However, following a post from J.E. the other day where he suggested the use
of the "," as a separator was marginally more efficient, I substituted it in
this formula (without testing) and you quite rightly pointed out it doesn't
work.

Perhaps I need more explanation on the difference between the two methods.

--
Regards
Roger Govier
typo

"kiranmani" wrote in message
Coloum A Column B
Closed Settings
Open Settings
Closed Prametes
Open UI

I want to calculate Number of rows which have in Column A Closed and in
Column B Settings . Please help ..

Bob Phillips

Hi Roger,

I cannot believe that * versus -- would make any noticeable difference on
any spreadsheet.. It might be more efficient as the * will do the coercion
in the same step as the product, but that might also make it less so. And
with some complex formulae, it will be better to coerce to numeric before
the product. But as I said I cannot believe it would be noticeable.

BTW, if you do use the * operator, you don't need to coerce the first part

=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100="Closed")*(B2:B100="Settings" ))

Perhaps this can help you http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

--

"kiranmani" wrote in message
Coloum A Column B
Closed Settings
Open Settings
Closed Prametes
Open UI

I want to calculate Number of rows which have in Column A Closed and

in
Column B Settings . Please help ..

Aladin Akyurek

Might be of interest:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=73205

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi Bob

Thanks for that.
However, I am confused (nothing new there!!).
Normally I use the "*" in the SUMPRODUCT formula and would normally have
submitted
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100="Closed")*(B2:B100="Settings"))
which works fine.

However, following a post from J.E. the other day where he suggested the use
of the "," as a separator was marginally more efficient, I substituted it in
this formula (without testing) and you quite rightly pointed out it doesn't
work.

Perhaps I need more explanation on the difference between the two methods.

--

[1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
their Excel numeric equivalents.