Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do I duplicate the Lotus 123 @rate function in Excel?

Excel wants to give me the XIRR function, but that requires a specific data
layout, which is not always appropriate. I want to calculate a Compounded
Annual Rate of Return, by inputting the start value, end value and number of
years. Lotus made this very easy. Excel makes it very hard. Help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 13:58:01 -0700, WEBB wrote:

Excel wants to give me the XIRR function, but that requires a specific data
layout, which is not always appropriate. I want to calculate a Compounded
Annual Rate of Return, by inputting the start value, end value and number of
years. Lotus made this very easy. Excel makes it very hard. Help

I'm not familiar with Lotus, but from what you write, I think Excel's RATE
function should work. Just leave the Pmt argument blank (or zero), and make
sure your Pv and Fv arguments have opposite signs.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you. I had been using the RATE function, but for some reason it wasn't
working. The problem seems to be when you use a time parameter less than 1
year. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know why that
is.