Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Create an edit field

I have a spreadsheet that pulls and stores data for a quoting tool, in the on
the proposal sheet this information may sometimes need to be changed before
the quote is PDF'd.

Since I am using vlookup to pull all the data from the DB the user of this
tool will not simply be able to retype the address or phone number or email
address in those fields.

What I would like to do is create a edit button for each field that can be
changed on the proposal sheet, that will allow the user to simply enter the
new data to place into the pre populated cell without overwriting the vlookup.

I only need to keep the data to generate the PDF it does not need to go back
to the database and update anything.

Any suggestions would be great.

--
Neall
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Could be I'm oversimplifying your worksheet, but it sounds to me like you're
saying your user is looking at contact data (address, email, phone etc) that
is pulled via VLOOKUP from some other source, and sometimes needs to correct
that data. You say he "can't" just type over the VLOOKUP formula, but why
not? If you don't need that data to go back to the source DB, it seems to me
it should work fine.

If you created an edit button which would accept the new string from the
user and then just put it back in the cell, how's that different from the
user typing it into the cell himself? It's still going to overwrite the
contents of the cell, whether the user types it over the VLOOKUP or your
button does.

By the way, if you go for the button solution, this becomes a VBA question
and you need to repost over in the "Excel programming" forum. But I'm not
convinced yet you need the button.