Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default trouble with Names on multiple sheets

I've created 2 sheets with data that have to be plotted on different
charts. I then created 1 sheet just for those charts to appear. On
the first data sheet, I defined the Names, and when I looked at sheet
2, I could tell that the names were being taken on by Sheet 2. To
plot the charts, I referred to the specific sheet and then the range
name and I could tell that the different charts were referencing what
I want to reference.

The problem started when I created 2 more names later on. They did
not take on to sheet 2! If I added the sheet name of Sheet 2 to the
"definition", they will drop off any reference to sheet 1. I can't
figure out why these were supposed to be global names but didn't work.
Any clues? I'm about to pull my hair out... I was getting so close to
having all my charts done.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Firstly, what version of xl are you using?

I'm not sure if I understand your question properly but I have the feeling
that you are trying to use the same name on different worksheets. Is this
correct?

In xl2007 (not sure about xl2003) the defined name can be scoped to a
worksheet and therefore the name can be used multiple times if on different
worksheets. However, in xl2002, attempting to use the same name again on a
different worksheet simply re-defines the name to the new worksheet and the
name no longer applies to the first worksheet.

OssieMac