Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can't get email addresses to be "hot" when using lookup

I am using lookup to retrieve email addresses from another workbook.

When I simply type in an email address manually, it becomes a "hot" link,
where I just click on it, and it will open up a new email window in Outlook
with that email address in the to: field.

But when I use the lookup function, the email address doesn't work this way.
All that happens when I click on it is that I select that cell.

Any way I can have these turn back to hot links?

I've tried inserting a hyperlink, but that's more work than just copying and
pasting the email address into OL.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way is to use the HYPERLINK function

=HYPERLINK("mailto:" & VLOOKUP(1,A1:B10,2),VLOOKUP(1,A1:B10,2))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"bsharp" wrote:

I am using lookup to retrieve email addresses from another workbook.

When I simply type in an email address manually, it becomes a "hot" link,
where I just click on it, and it will open up a new email window in Outlook
with that email address in the to: field.

But when I use the lookup function, the email address doesn't work this way.
All that happens when I click on it is that I select that cell.

Any way I can have these turn back to hot links?

I've tried inserting a hyperlink, but that's more work than just copying and
pasting the email address into OL.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jacob -

Thanks, that worked.

At first I thought it wasn't working, until I tried having the other
workbook open that I'm pulling the email from, and then it worked.

It's funny because it will pull the email address into the cell and display
it even when the other workbook is closed, but the hot link won't generate an
email message unless the other workbok is open. If you have a solution for
that, I'd love to know.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You will have to handle the error. something like Iferror --blank

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:D1,2)),"",VLOOKUP (A1,Sheet1!A1:D1,2))

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria