Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Viewing linked workbooks

I have been handed over about 15 spreadsheets. Many of them have cell
formulas refering to different spreadsheets/workbooks. Is there a way to see
where each is referencing without going into each cell and reading the
formulas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can click TOOLS on the menu, click the VIEW tab and under VIEW OPTIONS
click the FORMULAS check box.

Or you can select the cells in the worksheet and the press Ctrl + F to open
the FIND dialog box. For the text to locate enter =[, verify that LOOK IN is
set to FORMULAS and then click the FIND all button. It will produce a list
of all cell containing linked formulas. Double clicking an item in the list
will activate the cell containing the formula

--
Kevin Backmann

"juliejg1" wrote:

I have been handed over about 15 spreadsheets. Many of them have cell
formulas refering to different spreadsheets/workbooks. Is there a way to see
where each is referencing without going into each cell and reading the
formulas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A few points:

Showing formulas can be done with the toggle Ctl-` (prime, below Esc). It's
commonly called flipping the worksheet and is worth practicing.

If references are to worksheets in the same workbook, look for the bang (!).

Edit Links might give you an idea of what's going on.

There is such a thing as shop standards to allow passing tasks around
without undue pain. Linked workbooks, in my view, seldom qualify. To much
baggage. Your situation happened to me years ago - I revamped it. Still
working for the same outfit.

"juliejg1" wrote:

I have been handed over about 15 spreadsheets. Many of them have cell
formulas refering to different spreadsheets/workbooks. Is there a way to see
where each is referencing without going into each cell and reading the
formulas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thank you for the tips. this was 'thrown' on me because an employee quit.
Unfortunately, she was the only one working on these workbooks. I plan on
making quite a bit of changes once I know the data well enough. I certainly
won't leave the next person hanging like this.