Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I keep a 17 digit number from ending in "0" in excel?

I am trying to enter 17 digit numbers in an excel spreadsheet, but the sheet
automatically changes the last digit to a zero.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Either pre-format the cell(s) as Text or enter your numbers with a leading
apostrophe (it won't show up in the cell).

Rick

"creel28270" wrote in message
I am trying to enter 17 digit numbers in an excel spreadsheet, but the
sheet
automatically changes the last digit to a zero.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like it's rounding off. What version of Excel and what cell
format do you have chosen? (Number? Integer? Other?)

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"creel28270" wrote in message
:

I am trying to enter 17 digit numbers in an excel spreadsheet, but the sheet
automatically changes the last digit to a zero.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ben

There's 15 digit precision in Excel. Which I believe has something to do
with 32 bits resolution.

Best wishes Harald

"Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)" wrote in message
Sounds like it's rounding off. What version of Excel and what cell format
do you have chosen? (Number? Integer? Other?)

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
http://www.officeforlawyers.com

"creel28270" wrote in message
:

I am trying to enter 17 digit numbers in an excel spreadsheet, but the
sheet
automatically changes the last digit to a zero.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

IEEE double precision (used by Excel) uses 64 bits to represent floating
point numbers. 52 bits (effectively 53 bits for numbers 1E-307 in
magnitude) go to repesenting the value (the rest go to the exponent and
sign). This is sufficient to approximate 15 decimal digit numbers, but
requires 17 decimal digits to uniquely identify the binary represention.
Excel's documented 15 decimal digit limitation is a design decision to avoid
explaining why some 17 decimal digit numbers would otherwise change value
immediately on input. Some other IEEE compliant packages will allow you to
see and directly manipulate the full 17 decimal digits.

Jerry