Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unlocking cells

How do you unlock certain cells on a template so that they can be edited?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Two ways...

1. Right click the cell. Select Format Cell - Protection - Uncheck Locked
Cell

2. Select Tools - Customize - Commands tab - Format from the list on the
left. Scroll down the list on the right to until you find a Lock Icon. Drag
that icon onto one of yoru existing toolbars.

Number 2 is my prefered method. When you sleect a cell it will show you
whether the cell is locked or not which maked things a lot easier...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"maltagirl" wrote:

How do you unlock certain cells on a template so that they can be edited?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your answer but if you want to unlock certain cells whilst the
other remain locked, how on earth do you do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Generally speaking I start off by colour coding the cells that the end user
will have access to edit. That way they are not left guessing what they can
and can not do. I then select the entire sheet and click the Lock button on
and off a couple of times to ensure that all the cells on the sheet are in
the locked position. Now just select the coloured cells and turn the locks
off. Note that locking cells does nothing until you protect the worksheet...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson