Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default If statement with non specific date

Hey guys/gals,

Can anyone tell me if you can use an IF statement so that it recognizes a
non specific date.

for example: D1 has 6/11/08
I want to enter an IF statement so that if at any time column D has a date
then it will say "package made" in column E right beside the date.

Any suggestions?
--
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

you can also try

=IF(OR(N8<21916,N842005),"bad","package made")

This should put package made if the field has a date between 1/1/1960 and
1/1/2015 which is hopfully my retirement date. All letters should mark it as
bad which you can change to blank

"Eric D" wrote:

Hey guys/gals,

Can anyone tell me if you can use an IF statement so that it recognizes a
non specific date.

for example: D1 has 6/11/08
I want to enter an IF statement so that if at any time column D has a date
then it will say "package made" in column E right beside the date.

Any suggestions?
--
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem is that a date in Excel is merely a different way of formatting
a number, so if you may have other numbers in that column you need to find a
way of distinguishing your "dates" from other numbers. If the dates don't
include times, then they will satify =MOD(A1,1)=0, but of course so will any
integer numbers. If your dates are over a relatively limited range of time,
then you can include that in your constraints. But if you have one cell
with 12 Jun 2008 (as a real date, rather than text), and another cell with
39611, they will contain the same value. You might choose to use
=CELL("format",A1) to tell you which format is in use, which might be an
additional help.
--
David Biddulph

Eric D wrote:

Can anyone tell me if you can use an IF statement so that it recognizes
non specific date.

for example: D1 has 6/11/08
I want to enter an IF statement so that if at any time column D has a
date
then it will say "package made" in column E right beside the date.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cool thanks David.

As I am not that excel advanced can you show me how this would look in the
IF statement?

There would never be an occasion that there would be other numbers in the
cell other than a date.
--
Eric

Eric D wrote:

Can anyone tell me if you can use an IF statement so that it recognizes
non specific date.

for example: D1 has 6/11/08
I want to enter an IF statement so that if at any time column D has a
date
then it will say "package made" in column E right beside the date.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Put this function into a regular module and refer to it

Function isd(x)
If isdate(x) Then isd = True
End Function

=IF(isd(H2),"Pm",2)