Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Default I want to display numbers with zeros in front of them, eg 005

Hi,
I have a friend who wishes to display zeros in front of other numbers and
the Excel program keeps disappearing them. I tried to modify the
Tools/Options/View/Zero Values but whether this box is checked or not doesn't
seem to make any difference.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to format cells using Format - Numbers - Special

Use something like this to make 4 digits

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your reply - does that mean you have to see the # symbol or is
there a way of only seeing the zeros?

Cheers

Tom

"Joel" wrote:

You need to format cells using Format - Numbers - Special

Use something like this to make 4 digits

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Hi again Joel,

Do you have to change a setting to make the # invisible?
I can see it in front of my numbers.

Cheers
Tom

"Joel" wrote:

You need to format cells using Format - Numbers - Special

Use something like this to make 4 digits

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One of my replies didn't get posted. Try this formula

=Text(0,"#000")

The formula should do the same thing as special format. You should see 3
zeroes with no #. I want to see if this works because it should using the
same internal function in excel as formating.

"Joel" wrote:

You need to format cells using Format - Numbers - Special

Use something like this to make 4 digits

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to see 5 digits, you can use a custom format of:
00000

If you want to see 3 digits, you can use a custom format of:
000

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Hi again Joel,

Thanks for the formula - it works for me, I have emailed it to my friend to
give it a go in her 'real' task - will let you know if it's successful.

Cheers
Tom

PS By any chance do you have a relatively simple formula for calculating
the days, months and years between two dates? The challenge is to administer
a school test to children on a certain date, then apply a formula which will
produce their exact age in years, months, at that point in time.

"Joel" wrote:

You need to format cells using Format - Numbers - Special

Use something like this to make 4 digits

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tom

Use the undocumented DATEDIF function.

See Chip Pearson's site for details.