Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Keeping Formulas Intact While Sorting

I have a list created with 5 columns. I am trying to add a sixth column that
will sum the values in 5 that have the same value in column 1. So all
entries for Company A would be totaled into a cell and the same for B and C,
etc. However, when i try and sort this new column six from largest to
smallest, the formulas do not stick and instead sum the new values in those
assigned columns. How can I prevent this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let me see if I get this right, your layout is something like:

company A 10 15 20 30 65 <--6th column is total for the row.

If this is the case, just make sure you select all the columns (Company A
through to the 6th column) then sort on the 6th column. This will sort
everything based on the totals.

If I have completely misunderstood your data layout, please show a layout
example.

"PleaseHelp!" wrote:

I have a list created with 5 columns. I am trying to add a sixth column that
will sum the values in 5 that have the same value in column 1. So all
entries for Company A would be totaled into a cell and the same for B and C,
etc. However, when i try and sort this new column six from largest to
smallest, the formulas do not stick and instead sum the new values in those
assigned columns. How can I prevent this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Example:

Company A 10 65 <-- sum of all company a entries
Company A 25 65
Company A 30 65