Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Shortening references to external workbooks

I have a spreadsheet that needs to reference data for some of its functions
which is held in another spreadsheet on a shared server which is leading to
very long functions eg:

=IF(K$2='http://transfreespace.mycompany.co.uk/sites/ABC/2008 ABC Rollout
Schedule/[Latest Rollout Schedule - 2008.05.20 (Version 15).xls]Master
Schedule'!$AE6,"PMH",IF(K$2='http://transfreespace.mycompany.co.uk/sites/ABC/2008
Schedule'!$AJ6,"LDV",IF(K$2='http://transfreespace.mycompany.co.uk/sites/ABC/2008
ABC Rollout Schedule/[Latest Rollout Schedule - 2008.05.20 (Version
15).xls]Master
Schedule'!$AP6,"SIM",IF(K$2='http://transfreespace.mycompany.co.uk/sites/ABC/2008
ABC Rollout Schedule/[Latest Rollout Schedule - 2008.05.20 (Version
15).xls]Master Schedule'!$AX6,"HOM",""))))

Is there some way I can 'define' something short to be egual to the bit -
'http://transfreespace.mycompany.co.uk/sites/ABC/2008 ABC Rollout
Schedule/[Latest Rollout Schedule - 2008.05.20 (Version 15)' and then
replace that in my formulas to make them easier to manage & read?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gidders,

Put the cell references into individual cells, then refer to those cells in your formulas. Label
them nicely with an explanation of what they are - much more traceable and usable.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Gidders" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bernie

Thanks for your response but I don't understand how that would work.

For example if cell A1
='http://transfreespace.mycompany.co.uk/sites/ABC/2008 ABC Rollout
Schedule/[Latest Rollout Schedule - 2008.05.20 (Version 15)'

ie the path bit to the spreadsheet on the shared server then what's my if
statement going to look like? How do I combine whats in A1 into the formula?

Thanks

"Gidders" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gidders,

What I meant was use a link to the data. So, in cell A1, the link is

='http://transfreespace.mycompany.co.uk/sites/ABC/2008 ABC Rollout
Schedule/[Latest Rollout Schedule - 2008.05.20 (Version 15).xls]Master
Schedule'!$AE6

and then your formula changes from:

=IF(K$2='http://transfreespace.mycompany.co.uk/sites/ABC/2008 ABC Rollout
Schedule/[Latest Rollout Schedule - 2008.05.20 (Version 15).xls]Master
Schedule'!$AE6,"PMH",IF(.......

=IF(K$2=A1,"PMH",IF(.......

basically, removing the
'http://transfreespace.mycompany.co.uk/sites/ABC/2008 ABC Rollout
Schedule/[Latest Rollout Schedule - 2008.05.20 (Version 15).xls]Master
Schedule'!$AE6 from the formula into a cell.

However, I am not experienced in linking to a workbook stored on a website,
so am unfamiliar with the specifics and possible limitations.

Bernie