Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
spence

Default inserting sheets into existing workbooks w/o external references

The social services agency I work for uses a single-sheet [budget] workbook
to track the expenditures of our customers. There are 600 discreet copies of
the workbook in a single folder on our server and all are named with the
convention smithjoe.xls. I have just created a second and third sheet
([quarterly report] and [annual report]) in smithjoe.xls that uses cell
references from [budget.] Now I want to insert my two new sheets into all my
existing workbooks. The only way I can figure out how to do it is to copy the
sheets from smithjoe.xls into an existing workbook (we'll call it
jonesjohn.xls) and then use "find and replace" to get rid of the external
references to smithjoe.xls in all the formulas. I feel certain there's a much
less time consuming way to do this. Can someone help me out? Thanks in
advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
paul

when you copy the shhets over do the links to the original stay alive or do
you get ref.......if they stay alive and the format of all the books are the
same go edit links and navigate back to the current book
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"spence" wrote:

The social services agency I work for uses a single-sheet [budget] workbook
to track the expenditures of our customers. There are 600 discreet copies of
the workbook in a single folder on our server and all are named with the
convention smithjoe.xls. I have just created a second and third sheet
([quarterly report] and [annual report]) in smithjoe.xls that uses cell
references from [budget.] Now I want to insert my two new sheets into all my
existing workbooks. The only way I can figure out how to do it is to copy the
sheets from smithjoe.xls into an existing workbook (we'll call it
jonesjohn.xls) and then use "find and replace" to get rid of the external
references to smithjoe.xls in all the formulas. I feel certain there's a much
less time consuming way to do this. Can someone help me out? Thanks in
advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
spence

Default inserting sheets into existing workbooks w/o external referenc

Since I've got 600 of these (all in the same directory) I was sort of looking
for some sort of batch solution. Will a macro do something like this?

"spence" wrote:

The social services agency I work for uses a single-sheet [budget] workbook
to track the expenditures of our customers. There are 600 discreet copies of
the workbook in a single folder on our server and all are named with the
convention smithjoe.xls. I have just created a second and third sheet
([quarterly report] and [annual report]) in smithjoe.xls that uses cell
references from [budget.] Now I want to insert my two new sheets into all my
existing workbooks. The only way I can figure out how to do it is to copy the
sheets from smithjoe.xls into an existing workbook (we'll call it
jonesjohn.xls) and then use "find and replace" to get rid of the external
references to smithjoe.xls in all the formulas. I feel certain there's a much
less time consuming way to do this. Can someone help me out? Thanks in
advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
spence

and by the way, the links do stay live because all my workbooks are formatted
exactly the same. but they point to the originating workbook instead of the
sheet in the workbook i've copied into. thanks.