Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Gloria

Default Prompt to save file

I seem to have forgotten where you set up an Excel spreadsheet to have a
message box pop up on the screen to prompt you to save the file every e.g.,
20 minutes or so. I'm using the 2002 version and as of late my computer is
starting to crash for no reason, probably because my hard drive is going?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Paul B

Gloria, I think you are talking about autosave that was in earlier versions
of excel, here is a previous post by Dave Peterson that may help

If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of the autosave addin
from an earlier version, it should work ok.

But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery. It's not the same as
autosave,
but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows crashes.

As an alternative, you may want to consider using Jan Karel Pieterse's addin
called AutoSafe (note spelling).

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a
user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts
them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from
the
recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open
the
last version it saved.

"Gloria" wrote in message
I seem to have forgotten where you set up an Excel spreadsheet to have a
message box pop up on the screen to prompt you to save the file every
e.g.,
20 minutes or so. I'm using the 2002 version and as of late my computer
is
starting to crash for no reason, probably because my hard drive is going?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Dave Peterson

And Gord Dibben posted this:

Autosave.xla from Office 2000 or 97 will work with Excel 2002 or 2003.
If you have a previous copy, move it to your Office\Library.
To download the 97 version see here........
http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

--

Dave Peterson