Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
brt

Default Spreadsheet shortcuts not working

We have shortcuts to spreadsheets setup but when we click on them excel comes
up but the spreadsheet does not load and there are no error messages. We
redid the shortcuts and if we follow the path in the shortcut the spreadsheet
opens. But when the speadsheet opens it gives errors that it can not find
other spreadsheets that seem to fragments of the spread sheet name. For
example if I open a spreadsheet called computer systems inventory.xls it will
try to open computer.xls systems.xls and inventory.xls but these files never
existed. Below is a copy of my case log to show what I did so far. If anyone
has seen this before please let me know how you fixed it. Thank you.

Workstation O24 can not open excel spreadsheets using shortcuts. Excel opens
but the spreadsheet does not open. If we browse to the speadsheet and click
on it it opens but when the speadsheet opens it gives errors that it can not
find other spreadsheets that seem to fragments of the spread sheet name. For
example if I open a spreadsheet called computer systems inventory.xls it will
try to open computer.xls systems.xls and inventory.xls but these files never
existed. Tried remaking the shortcut no joy. Tried repairing excel no joy
tried removing and reinstalling excel no joy. Tried the following fix from
http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages..._Workbook.html
This sounds like a problem with the file associations in Windows. The first
thing to try is to force Excel to reconstruct all the proper association
information. You do that by following these steps:

1. Make sure that Excel is not running (exit the program).
2. Click the Start button to displays the Start menu.
3. From the Start menu, choose Run. Windows displays the Run dialog box.
(Click here to see a related figure.)
4. In the Open box, enter the full path name to your Excel program,
followed by the /regserver switch. If the full path name includes spaces,
surround the full path name by quote marks. The following is an example of
what you can enter in the Open box (your path may be different):

"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /regserver

5. Click OK.

Now try double-clicking on your workbook again. It should open as you
expect. If it doesn't, try this:

1. In Excel, choose Options from the Tools menu. Excel displays the
Options dialog box.
2. Make sure the General tab is selected. (Click here to see a related
figure.)
3. Make sure the Ignore Other Applications check box is selected.
4. Click on OK.

If you still cannot double-click on a workbook to open it, try these steps:

1. Get out of Excel completely.
2. Open a My Computer window.
3. Choose Tool Folder Options. You should see the Folder Options dialog
box.
4. Make sure the File Types tab is displayed. (Click here to see a
related figure.)
5. In the list of registered file types, find and select the entry for
XLS (Microsoft Excel Worksheet).
6. Depending on your version of Windows, click on either the Edit or the
Advanced button. You should see the Edit File Type dialog box.
7. In the list of actions, choose Open.
8. Click the Edit button. Windows displays the Editing Action dialog box.
(Click here to see a related figure.)
9. The Application Used to Perform Action box contains the actual command
line used to start Word. Double-check the line to make sure there are no
strange extra filenames at the end of the command line.
10. Make sure the Use DDE check box is selected, and that the DDE Message
box is set to the following:

[open("%1")]

11. Click on OK.
12. Close all the other open dialog boxes.

No joy
Scanned for and removed spyware ran regmechanic and repaired the registery
no joy
checked the error logs. Found the following error.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: 4/24/2006
Time: 4:30:13 PM
User: DVFDI\PGuare
Computer: O24
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation
permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064}
to the user DVFDI\PGuare SID (S-1-5-21-861101232-713445873-617630493-2365).
This security permission can be modified using the Component Services
administrative tool.

Applied the following fix.
Explanation
A program, the Clsid displayed in the message, tried to start the DCOM
server by using the DCOM infrastructure. Based on the security ID (SID), this
user does not have the necessary permissions to start the DCOM server.

User Action
Verify that the user has the appropriate permissions to start the DCOM
server.

To assign permissions

Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value
HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is
displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Component Services.
In the Component Services snap-in, expand Computers, expand My Computer, and
double-click DCOM Config.
In the right pane, locate the program by using its friendly name.
Right-click the program name, and then select Properties.
On the Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions group box,
select Customize, and then click Edit.

still no joy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Gord Dibben

The "ignore other applications" checkbox should be left unchecked.

i.e. not selected.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:05:02 -0700, brt wrote:

1. In Excel, choose Options from the Tools menu. Excel displays the
Options dialog box.
2. Make sure the General tab is selected. (Click here to see a related
figure.)
3. Make sure the Ignore Other Applications check box is selected.
4. Click on OK.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
brt

That worked for the shortcut problem but now excel crashes when trying to
save and I get the following error in the event log.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Office 11
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 4/26/2006
Time: 8:04:57 AM
User: N/A
Computer: O24
Faulting application excel.exe, version 11.0.8012.0, stamp 43e2ab74,
faulting module vbacv10.dll, version 2.0.0.7411, stamp 33598262, debug? 0,
fault address 0x00008ed2.

Data:
0000: 41 00 70 00 70 00 6c 00 A.p.p.l.
0008: 69 00 63 00 61 00 74 00 i.c.a.t.