Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
smistretta

Default How do I make a particular column required in Excel?

Our NPO is creating a reimbursement chart in Excel. We're trying to make it
so that if employees do not fill in one particular column entitled
"Projects," they will get an error or will be unable to have a final sum
filled in.

Is there any way I can make this particular column required so that if it is
not filled in, the chart will not complete properly?

Thank you in advance for any advice or help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Elkar

You could use an IF Statement in your final sum. Something like:

=IF(B10="","Please complete Column B",SUM(C1:C10))

Change cell references and messages to suit your needs.

HTH,
Elkar

"smistretta" wrote:

Our NPO is creating a reimbursement chart in Excel. We're trying to make it
so that if employees do not fill in one particular column entitled
"Projects," they will get an error or will be unable to have a final sum
filled in.

Is there any way I can make this particular column required so that if it is
not filled in, the chart will not complete properly?

Thank you in advance for any advice or help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Bob Phillips

You could also use Data Validation in the Projects cells with a type of
Custom and a formula of say =B10<"" (for row 10). Make sure you uncheck the
Ignore Blanks box.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips