Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
GBH99

Default Referencing other programme

Hello,

I have an excel spreadsheet and when it opens it is asking me whether or not
to update info. I have searched using find "[" to try and find the externally
referenced programme with no joy. Please can you advide me of any other way
to track this down.

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
David Benson

Check to see if you have an range names that reference ranges in the other
file. Click "Insert Name Define". Scroll down the list of named
ranges, and looking in the "Refers to:" box at the bottom of the dialog box
for references to the other file.

You can also missing finding references in formulas if you just search on
"[". If the formula refers to a named range in the other workbook, the
filename will not have brackets around it:

=SUM(OtherWkbk.xls!Range1)

Try searching on "!" (exclamation point) instead of the bracket. All file
name references will have an "!" in them.

Have you tried breaking the links (as opposed to editing formulas to remove
them)? Click "Edit Links...". Select the file you want to de-link, then
click "Break Link". Sometimes the file name will still remain in the list
even if the links really are broken, so save and close the workbook, then
re-open it to see if that worked.

Good luck!

-- David