Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Peter Kwong

Default Modify width

I want to see if I can modify the default width when I open all excel
documents.
Instead of say 8.43 in the first column width have it be like 9.5
And that setting on all files that I open.

Is that possible?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Dave Peterson

Start a new workbook. Do all the stuff you like for each worksheet in that
workbook.

Save it as a template file named book.xlt in your XLStart folder.

Each time you click on the new icon, that new workbook will inherit all the
settings from that template file.

If you want new worksheets added to existing workbooks to have these same
settings, set up another workbook template file (one sheet only???) and name it
sheet.xlt. Save it in the same XLStart folder.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Peter Kwong

What if I want existing excel files that I open to have a modified width in
the first column how do i do that?

The problem is that some .csv files that I open have ##### in the first
column.
Trying to find a way to save a step.

Peter Kwong wrote:

I want to see if I can modify the default width when I open all excel
documents.
Instead of say 8.43 in the first column width have it be like 9.5
And that setting on all files that I open.

Is that possible?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Dave Peterson

You would need an application event that would lurk in the background waiting
for you to open a workbook.

Then it would go through each worksheet and adjust the columnwidth of column A.

But this sounds very dangerous to me. If you open a workbook that is nicely
formatted and shouldn't change, you might have trouble stopping that application
event from firing.

Aother option would be to record a macro while you adjust the columnwidth the
way you want.

Then just run that macro whenever you felt like it.

Lots of people create a workbook named personal.xls where they keep these kinds
of utilities.

They store this personal.xls in their XLStart folder so that each time excel
opens, so does their utility workbook.