Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Steve Paul

Default excel link updating between 2 workbooks

Hello,

In excel 2003 I have a spreadsheet with a cell (A1) that links to a cell in
another workbook (B3). if the source & destination files are both opened and
I insert a row in the source file, the reference in the destination sheet
automatically changes to recognize the cell change. However, if I save the
destination file,then insert another row in the source file, the reference
in the destination worksheet doesn't change. Is this normal behavour, or is
there some setting in Excel I can change to alter this behaviour, (I know I
can use cell naming)

thanks,

--
Steve Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Manuel Maza

Hi Steve,

This is a normal behavior with Excel.

The thing you can do is to give a name to the cell A1 in the first workbook
and the same name to the cell B3 in the other workbook.
Excel by default name the cells as a range (A1 for example); you would see
this in the left side of the formula bar. You could change this name to
"linked", for example .

go to the formula bar
delete A1
type linked and press enter
Do the same for cell B3 in the another workbook (giving the same name again
, "linked")
"Steve Paul" wrote in message
Hello,

In excel 2003 I have a spreadsheet with a cell (A1) that links to a cell
in
another workbook (B3). if the source & destination files are both opened
and
I insert a row in the source file, the reference in the destination sheet
automatically changes to recognize the cell change. However, if I save
the
destination file,then insert another row in the source file, the reference
in the destination worksheet doesn't change. Is this normal behavour, or
is
there some setting in Excel I can change to alter this behaviour, (I know
can use cell naming)

thanks,

--
Steve Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I have a slightly different question but related. I have two tabs in the
same worksheet that have many cells linked. The problem I have is that when
I insert a row into the main tab, the data I enter in that row is not
displayed in the linked tab. Is there a way to automatically update the link
after a row is inserted??

Brian