Walter Copeland

Default David McRitchie (subject header)

I do so appreciate your advice and will definitely check your site for
needed information. However, I was unaware of the rules of engagement
pertaining to this or any other newsgroup rule of thumb pertaining to
subject headers. Some of them are so incoherent that I simply skip over
them. I do appreciate you taking out the time to look into my inept attempt
at troubleshooting my prob.
Thanx....

David McRitchie

Hi Walter,

I think you just answered your own question, since it sounds like you
would skip over postings yourself with missing, defective, incoherent,
or non-descriptive subject headers.

There aren't any rules, just guidelines in helping you to express yourself
and so that you help yourself and others.
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/posting.htm
and your ISP certainly would have suggestions as well, for newsgroups,
though watching a newsgroup for several days before posting is a thing
of the past since you can see all of the postings and can get a feeling
from other postings. A few of the Excel groups have over 1000
postings a day.

You just try to make up a subject header that includes keywords,
such as you would see summarized in a title for a segment of
reading material so one has a sense of what is wanted and what
answers they might find in a completed thread.
Extract Text from PDF file*

Same applies to searches but there only key words, or words you
don't want matter -- doesn't have to make sense to anyone but you and
the search interface.
Google web search: PDF text ~extract Excel -HTH -filetype:pdf
Google Groups search: PDF text ~extract groups:*excel*

use of ~extract will fetch related words and certainly extract OR extracting
use of -HTH will help eliminate newsgroup garbage introduced by
those that seek to commercialize the web based on the work of others.
use of -filetype:pdf excludes PDF formatted files
use of file* includes words with a root of file
use inurl:edu in a web search if things get really bad -- too many low grade hits

Even though those searches will find a lot of pay for solutions, there are
loads of free solutions and advice available on the subject, including my
pdf.htm page and the references at the bottom of it.

---
HTH,