-   -   Force text to overlap (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/268439-force-text-overlap.html)

Aled Davies

Force text to overlap

Please can someone tell me how to force text in a cell to overlap the one to its left and the one to its right? This text is centre aligned and there is data in the two cells either side of it. However, i want the text in the centre cell to show over the other two cells. I can't change the size of the cells or the size of the text.

Any ideas?

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Force text to overlap

Yes, there is a way to force text in a cell to overlap the cells to its left and right. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the cell with the text you want to overlap.
  2. Click on the "Home" tab in the Excel ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Alignment" group.
  4. Click on the "Wrap Text" button. This will allow the text to wrap within the cell.
  5. Double-click on the cell to enter edit mode.
  6. Place your cursor where you want the text to overlap the adjacent cells.
  7. Hold down the "Alt" key on your keyboard and type
    Formula:

    010

    on the numeric keypad. This will insert a line break character.
  8. Repeat step 6 and 7 for any other places where you want the text to overlap.

By inserting line breaks, you can force the text to overlap the adjacent cells without changing the size of the cells or the text. You can also adjust the font size or cell width to fine-tune the appearance of the text.

Mazzaropi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled Davies (Post 962487)
Please can someone tell me how to force text in a cell to overlap the one to its left and the one to its right? This text is centre aligned and there is data in the two cells either side of it. However, i want the text in the centre cell to show over the other two cells. I can't change the size of the cells or the size of the text.

Any ideas?

Dear Aled, Good Evening.

If you can't change the size of the cells or the size of the text, then what you desire is not possible.

tarquinious

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled Davies (Post 962487)
Please can someone tell me how to force text in a cell to overlap the one to its left and the one to its right? This text is centre aligned and there is data in the two cells either side of it. However, i want the text in the centre cell to show over the other two cells. I can't change the size of the cells or the size of the text.

Any ideas?

Excel won't overlap a cell that contains any data, so the only suggestion I could make is to put your text into a textbox instead. You could even go so far as to assign a macro to the worksheet so that when your middle cell's value changes, it updates the text box automatically for you.