Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Keep text out of numeric field

I am trying to "idiot proof" a worksheet. I know how to protect and
unprotect cells and worksheets...

What I am trying to do now is to make it so that someone cannot enter text
in a numeric field. I have not figured out how to do that yet. I would
think it would be rather common, but I don't see how it is done.

Thanks in advance.
Diane

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Select the cells you want to use for numbers.
Click on Data Validation. Change the block that says Allow Any value to
Allow Whole Numbers or Decimals, depending on what you want, set the criteria
to greater than and make it 0 or 0.01. You can only enter those values then,
and not any text. Rather, you can type text into such a cell, but when you
press <Enter, an error message pops up, stating that you cannot insert text.

--
HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail