Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Staring part of infornation in a columns

Hello, this is my problem. I have to send information with credit card
information. I need to star (****) out the middle 8 digits for security
reasons. I would do this manually but there are over 10, 000 card numbers.
Any help would be grateful.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

You could use a helper column with a formula like:

=left(a1,4)&rept("*",8)&right(a1,4)

You may have to adjust the lengths to match the format of your data (depending
on the length of those credit card strings).

Then drag this formula down the column as far as you need.

Convert the formulas to values (edit|copy, edit|paste special|values)

And delete the original column of credit card numbers.

Make sure you delete that column--don't just hide it. Excel's security won't
stop anyone from looking at a hidden column.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Sorry for more questions but how would I make =LEFT(A1,4)&

REPT("*",8)&RIGHT(A1,4)

Copy everything from A1:A10 to C1:C10?

Redseeing wrote:

Hello, this is my problem. I have to send information with credit card
information. I need to star (****) out the middle 8 digits for security
reasons. I would do this manually but there are over 10, 000 card numbers.
Any help would be grateful.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Paste the formula Dave posted into C1

Copy the formula down to C10 by dragging the fill handle of C1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP