Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default ignore other applications problem

Office 2003. Vista Home Premium. I want to open two instances of excel
to compare so I click "ignore other applications" in options/general.
That works fine but now I can't double click an excel file in explorer
to open it. If I do I get the error "Windows can't find "c:... the path
and file."

I put excel in my "send to" and if right click the excel file and use
send to, then it works. All seems very strange.

Is there any other way to open multiple excel files other than ignore
other applications?

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
required)OK.

If no joy with that, post back and we can propose another fix.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:35:35 -0700, John wrote:

Office 2003. Vista Home Premium. I want to open two instances of excel
to compare so I click "ignore other applications" in options/general.
That works fine but now I can't double click an excel file in explorer
to open it. If I do I get the error "Windows can't find "c:... the path
and file."

I put excel in my "send to" and if right click the excel file and use
send to, then it works. All seems very strange.

Is there any other way to open multiple excel files other than ignore
other applications?

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Didn't work. regserver produced an error in stdole32.tlb requiring an
install which it accomplished, presumably using my MSocache. Then
opening two files still had them in one instance of excel.

John