Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Getting my default xlt to work

I am in Excel 2003 with Windows XP.

I just ported to a new laptop, and am setting up Excel. I want to use the
default xlt, Book.xlt when I press Control-N. However, I can't seem to do
this. Here is what I did.

1. I actually had a Book.xlt from my previous latop, whose data I ported.
However, it is in C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates. 2. I moved it to C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office11\XLStart, but when I hit Control-N, I still get a blank
workbook. (I know it is not an xls based on this xlt, because I put text in
Cell(1,1).)
3. If I leave the xlt in C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates, then I can access it, but laboriously, from
File/New then clicking "On my computer" in the "New Workbook" Pane that
opens, and then selecting "Book.xlt."

However, this last process reduces the value of the xlt.

Similar behavior exists with Sheet.xlt, in that I cannot add a sheet based
on it by using the shortcut menus (by right clicking the mouse). I have to
use the file menu Insert/Worksheet and choose Sheet.xlt.

I am guessing that my XLStart folder is not where I and the help says it is.
Is that right?

This is extra weird, because my Normal.dot file lives right now exactly
where the Book.xlt is now: C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates, and I hit Conrol-N in Word, and a new doc appears
based on Normal.dot.

What am I doing wrong. I know this is not a big deal, but it's a point of
pride thing. I want it to work.

Thanks a lot.