Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Locking fill colors into rows

Is this possible? I want to have certain rows retain a fill color even if I
have to insert a new row above. I don't want the color to jump down; I want
it to stay in it's original row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

If you insert a row, the original row is now one row down.

Conditional Formatting may get you close.

Select a bunch of rows then FormatConditional FormattingFormula is:

=MOD(ROW(),2)=1

Pick a color from FormatPatterns and OK your way out.

See if that suits.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:24:26 -0400, "TR Young"
wrote:

Is this possible? I want to have certain rows retain a fill color even if I
have to insert a new row above. I don't want the color to jump down; I want
it to stay in it's original row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I understand that when you insert a row, the original row moves down, but
the row heading stays the same, therefore Excel still sees it as row "X".
If I can lock row "X" to retain properties even if a row is inserted above
it, that is what I am trying to accomplish. The unconditional formatting
would work, but would require a LOT of time. The company where I work is
putting out a book to our customers that has aluminum shapes tied to a
matrix. The matrix gets hard to read, so we wanted to color every 2 lines a
certain color to make it easy to read. Unfortunately, we add items once and
a while, and that would screw up the colors, forcing me to recolor every
time we add something.

wrote:

Is this possible? I want to have certain rows retain a fill color even if
have to insert a new row above. I don't want the color to jump down; I
want
it to stay in it's original row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I can't think of a way to allow inserting a row above row 1 and have the new
row be colored.

Gord

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:57:01 -0400, "TR Young"
wrote:

I understand that when you insert a row, the original row moves down, but
the row heading stays the same, therefore Excel still sees it as row "X".
If I can lock row "X" to retain properties even if a row is inserted above
it, that is what I am trying to accomplish. The unconditional formatting
would work, but would require a LOT of time. The company where I work is
putting out a book to our customers that has aluminum shapes tied to a
matrix. The matrix gets hard to read, so we wanted to color every 2 lines a
certain color to make it easy to read. Unfortunately, we add items once and
a while, and that would screw up the colors, forcing me to recolor every
time we add something.

.. .