Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

Default Excel 2003 unites csv file row contents in a column A with squares

Hello!
I exported a Windows Address book to a csv file in Windows Vista. Excel 2007
opens the file correctly, but Excel 2003 unites row contents in a column A
with squares betweel fields.
How to open the csv file in Excel 2003 correctly?
Regards,
Dmitry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

Default Excel 2003 unites csv file row contents in a column A with squ

Thanks David for replying!
I tried before the Data/Import External Data/Import Data, specified as
delimited, then set the delimiter.
Excel 2003 also scrambles the data ending with symbols.
Best regards,
Dmitry

"Dima" wrote in message
Hello!
I exported a Windows Address book to a csv file in Windows Vista. Excel
2007
opens the file correctly, but Excel 2003 unites row contents in a column A
with squares betweel fields.
How to open the csv file in Excel 2003 correctly?
Regards,
Dmitry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

On Aug 19, 3:29 am, Dima wrote:
Hello!
I exported a Windows Address book to a csv file in Windows Vista. Excel 2007
opens the file correctly, but Excel 2003 unites row contents in a column A
with squares betweel fields.
How to open the csv file in Excel 2003 correctly?
Regards,
Dmitry

It sounds like a font incompatibility. The squares often show up when
you try to use a symbol from one font in a different font that doesn't
have that symbol. So it just defaults to a square. And then I would
guess Excel 2003 isn't recognizing that symbol for doing a delimited
import from csv.

It works properly for me, with Outlook 2003 and Excel 2003. Perhaps
going from a 2007 address book to 2003 is a problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

Thanks David for replying!
Some letters are cyrillic.
The symbols with which Excel 2003 replaces the ending are meaningless.
Regards,
Dmitry

"Dima" wrote in message
Hello!
I exported a Windows Address book to a csv file in Windows Vista. Excel
2007
opens the file correctly, but Excel 2003 unites row contents in a
column A
with squares betweel fields.
How to open the csv file in Excel 2003 correctly?
Regards,
Dmitry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

Thanks Spiky for replying!
The address book was exported to csv in Windows Vista, not 2007.
How to resolve the font incompatibility?
Regards,
Dmitry
"Spiky" wrote:

On Aug 19, 3:29 am, Dima wrote:
Hello!
I exported a Windows Address book to a csv file in Windows Vista. Excel 2007
opens the file correctly, but Excel 2003 unites row contents in a column A
with squares betweel fields.
How to open the csv file in Excel 2003 correctly?
Regards,
Dmitry

It sounds like a font incompatibility. The squares often show up when
you try to use a symbol from one font in a different font that doesn't
have that symbol. So it just defaults to a square. And then I would
guess Excel 2003 isn't recognizing that symbol for doing a delimited
import from csv.

It works properly for me, with Outlook 2003 and Excel 2003. Perhaps
going from a 2007 address book to 2003 is a problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

"Spiky" wrote:
On Aug 19, 3:29 am, Dima wrote:
Hello!
I exported a Windows Address book to a csv file in Windows Vista. Excel 2007
opens the file correctly, but Excel 2003 unites row contents in a column A
with squares betweel fields.
How to open the csv file in Excel 2003 correctly?
Regards,
Dmitry

It sounds like a font incompatibility. The squares often show up when
you try to use a symbol from one font in a different font that doesn't
have that symbol. So it just defaults to a square. And then I would
guess Excel 2003 isn't recognizing that symbol for doing a delimited
import from csv.

It works properly for me, with Outlook 2003 and Excel 2003. Perhaps
going from a 2007 address book to 2003 is a problem?

Well, I don't have Vista. Or 2007. So I don't really know anything
about Windows Address Book.

But what you can do is go into one of those cells and highlight & copy
the offending character. Then go into Text to Columns:Delimited and
you'll be able to paste the character in so you can spread the info to
columns.

Or, since you can import this easily to Excel 2007, wouldn't it be
possible to use that, then save it? That should allow Excel 2003 to
open it, I would think. This may also be useful, it seems to work:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

Try Word. Perhaps you can look and see if it really looks like commas
in between each bit of data. If you can identify some problem
character, you should be able to do a Replace in Word and change them
all into commas. Then it should open properly in any version of Excel.