Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Standard Toolbar buttons disappear.

I recently got a new PC and now when I add the button "save as" to the
standard toolbar it is fine until I exit Excel and they upon reopening it the
"save as" button which I previously added to the standard toolbar is gone. I
have tried finding the .xlb files and deleted them but it does nothing. When
reopening excel if I look closely I can see the "save as" for a split second
but then it appears to be overwritten by the original standard toobar buttons.
Thanks for any help...it is driving me nuts.
Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I'm betting you have multiple *.xlb files.

I'd close excel and use windows start button|search to find all of them. Then
delete them all.

Then restart excel and test it out again.

Remember to look for hidden files in hidded folders when you search.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Dave - I tried it and found 3 Execl11.xlb files and deleted them all but I
still have the same problem...when I open excel and look intently I can see
the "save as" but it just pops up for an instant and then is overlayed by
some other toolbar setting.
Any other ideas?
Thanks.

Jim W wrote:

I recently got a new PC and now when I add the button "save as" to the
standard toolbar it is fine until I exit Excel and they upon reopening it the
"save as" button which I previously added to the standard toolbar is gone. I
have tried finding the .xlb files and deleted them but it does nothing. When
reopening excel if I look closely I can see the "save as" for a split second
but then it appears to be overwritten by the original standard toobar buttons.
Thanks for any help...it is driving me nuts.
Jim

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I tried it again and appeared to delete all .xlb's but the same thing
happens...I wonder if reinstalling Office would be any help.
I found 2 XLSTART FOLDERS:
one under C:\documents and settings\user\application data\microsoft\excel
and C:\program files\microsoft office\office11
Any thoughts?
Jim

Jim W wrote:

I recently got a new PC and now when I add the button "save as" to the
standard toolbar it is fine until I exit Excel and they upon reopening it the
"save as" button which I previously added to the standard toolbar is gone. I
have tried finding the .xlb files and deleted them but it does nothing. When
reopening excel if I look closely I can see the "save as" for a split second
but then it appears to be overwritten by the original standard toobar buttons.
Thanks for any help...it is driving me nuts.
Jim

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

And you deleted any *.xlb files found in those folders, right????

I don't think reinstalling will help. Excel knows that the *.xlb files belong
to you and is smart enough to know that it shouldn't be deleted during an
uninstall/reinstall. (Just like *.xls files.)

I still think you missed one of your *.xlb files.

If you can't find your files using windows start button|Search, then you could
use an old DOS command to search and delete/move them

Windows Start button|Run
type:
CMD
(to get to the Command prompt)

C:
(to get to the C: drive--change this to the drive that excel is installed on)

cd\
(to get to the root directory)

dir *.xlb /s

The /s says to search subfolders, too.

Make a note of the locations of the found files.

Jim W wrote:

I recently got a new PC and now when I add the button "save as" to the
standard toolbar it is fine until I exit Excel and they upon reopening it the
"save as" button which I previously added to the standard toolbar is gone. I
have tried finding the .xlb files and deleted them but it does nothing. When
reopening excel if I look closely I can see the "save as" for a split second
but then it appears to be overwritten by the original standard toobar buttons.
Thanks for any help...it is driving me nuts.
Jim

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Dave - I played around with the .xlb's and XLSTART folders and now have it
working, I'm not sure what order of events made it clear up but currently it
is working...thanks for your help.
Jim