Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default how do I limit the Number of rows in an excel 2007 workbook

My computer slows to a crawl or locks up because the workbook is over 50 MEG.
I want to try to fix this problem by limiting the number of rows tha Excel
2007 uses or in other words make the end of the sheet less then 1,000,000. I
have over 1 MEG of RAM and am using Windows Vista.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

The empty rows don't take up any space unless you've had something in them
previously (causing the high file size) - in any case you can't change the
number of rows or columns in a workbook. If your workbook doesn't really
have data of 50MB then create a new workbook and copy the information from
the old one into the new one - this should remove the "empty" cells that are
taking up file space.

"Mike" wrote in message
My computer slows to a crawl or locks up because the workbook is over 50
MEG.
I want to try to fix this problem by limiting the number of rows tha Excel
2007 uses or in other words make the end of the sheet less then 1,000,000.
have over 1 MEG of RAM and am using Windows Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Look he

http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#unused

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Castell" wrote in message ...
| The empty rows don't take up any space unless you've had something in them
| previously (causing the high file size) - in any case you can't change the
| number of rows or columns in a workbook. If your workbook doesn't really
| have data of 50MB then create a new workbook and copy the information from
| the old one into the new one - this should remove the "empty" cells that are
| taking up file space.
|

| "Mike" wrote in message
| My computer slows to a crawl or locks up because the workbook is over 50
| MEG.
| I want to try to fix this problem by limiting the number of rows tha Excel
| 2007 uses or in other words make the end of the sheet less then 1,000,000.
| have over 1 MEG of RAM and am using Windows Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Similar situation: File worked fine until I inserted a new worksheet, copied
from the one just before it. Adapted it for the specific need and now the
Excel 2007 xlsx file takes forever to load or save. Any comment/link as to
what I may have done, as I would like to "not do it again". Is this too
generic a question? All answers will be accepted as options.

Only unique condition for the cells is data validation for endusers, which
is minimal. No forumulas were added.

Yes, I show the full 1M rows, but no worksheet would ever use more than 1500
rows. Can't hide the rows.