Junior Member

Default Using Excel with Visually Impaired and ZoomText

I am teaching someone how to use Office 2003 who is visually impaired. She is not totally blind, but she needs help so to magnify the screen we use ZoomText. ZoomText worked great with Word, and I think it will work great with PowerPoint once we get there.

However, I have noticed that Excel and Outlook are designed to have information all over the screen. For those of you who don't know, ZoomText creates a virtual screen that is larger than your monitor, thus magnifying the section you want to see from 1.25X to 32X magnification. In order to see more of the screen you need to push your arrow/pointer to the top/bottom/left/right and the screen will move in that direction. This is not scrolling, just moving the screen around.

My problem is that when we need to scroll right or down, we have no idea where we are scrolling to since the column headers, row headers and name box are all in the opposite corner. Scrolling is in the lower right and the previously mentioned 3 items are on the left, top and upper left.

Also just working within the spreadsheet and not being able to see the column and row headers is pretty frustrating. Try clicking on H42 without using the headers or name box.

I know this is getting long so I'll get to the point, here are some ideas I have to make this a little easier, but I can't find a way to do them:

1) Have the pointer display a screen tip of the cell reference for every cell it is over without having to click on it. [This would be ideal]

2) Move/display the name box (or a copy of it) on another toolbar by customizing one and putting it in the lower right corner near the scroll bars.

3) Display the column headers and row headers on the bottom and right of the worksheet. [This would be ideal too.]

Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this, or know of any add-ins or other programs that would allow me to do this?

Thanks for all of your help.

P.S. People use different terms. By column headings I am referring to the letters at the top of the screen A, B, C, D, E ... So headers, headings, labels all mean the same thing.

P.P.S. I am posting this on other forums too to see what ideas people come up with.