Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Labels into fields

I have inherited a list of lables (8 pages long) and I'd like to put them
into a spreadsheet. Is there a way to take a basic lable that's already got
data and convert it into the fields? ie: name, city, state, etc. without
having to retype everything?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Show us a sample of how your data is currently laid out and is it consistent?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:06:01 -0800, Michelle
wrote:

I have inherited a list of lables (8 pages long) and I'd like to put them
into a spreadsheet. Is there a way to take a basic lable that's already got
data and convert it into the fields? ie: name, city, state, etc. without
having to retype everything?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

They are mailing labels set up like:

Bill Gates
1354 Billionaire Blvd.
Sharesomewealth, TX. 55555

:o)~

wrote:

I have inherited a list of lables (8 pages long) and I'd like to put them
into a spreadsheet. Is there a way to take a basic lable that's already got
data and convert it into the fields? ie: name, city, state, etc. without
having to retype everything?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

A1...Bill Gates
A2...1354 Billionaire Blvd.
A3...Sharesomewealth, TX. 55555

And it is consistent down column A?

Any blank rows between each set?

If no blank rows, in B1 enter =INDEX($A:$A,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*3+COLUMNS($A:B)-1)

Copy across to D1.

Select B1:D1 and copy down until you get zeros showing up.

Copy the range and Paste Special as Values.

Select Column D and DataText to ColumnsDelimited By.

Checkmark "Comma" and "Other". Enter a period in "Other" and Finish.

If a blank row between each set change the formula to

=INDEX($A:$A,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*4+COLUMNS($A:B)-1) and drag across to E1

Delete column E because it will have zeros all the way down.

Gord