Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Transferring Excel to A New Computer

I am upgrading my computer and need to move Excel 2002 to the new computer.
How do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Reinstall using the original distribution CD.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

ps...

Saved from a previous post:

I have a short list of things to copy/update when we changed pc's at work.

It's not complete, but may help you.

Word/Excel files:

FileName Use
custom.dic personal dictionary
*.acl personal autocorrect list
mssp2_en.exc personal exclusion dictionary
normal.dot default (for new documents) template
*.dot Any other templates you've made

*.xlb personal toolbar
book.xlt defaults for new workbooks
sheet.xlt defaults for new worksheets
personal.xl* personal macros
*.xlt Any other templates you've made

And don't forget any:
Local files (If you don’t store on LAN)
(Settings) Directories and other defaults (Tools|Options stuff)

====
I've found the easiest way to find these files is to use Windows start
button|Search.

Remember to look through hidden folders/files. And if I find multiple files of
the same name, I open excel (say), then make a minor change to that file. Then
search again. Then I can pick out the current version of the file.

That said, if you're upgrading from an older version of office, I wouldn't copy
the toolbar. (I would take good notes to help me rebuild this toolbar (maybe
even fix it up a bit).)

Same with the normal.dot (I'd let MSWord rebuild that--then just copy|paste any
macros into it manually.)

The *.xlt (book.xlt, sheet.xlt), I'd copy over, but then open and resave them
using the newer version.

Kimberly wrote:

I am upgrading my computer and need to move Excel 2002 to the new computer.
How do I do this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Go to Control Panel in new computer and Add/Remove Programs.

Pop in your CD and install.

No way you can transfer an installed Excel or Office from one computer to
another.

You may want to copy over your files from the old computer to new one also.

Here is a list from Dave Peterson...............

I have a short list of things to copy/update when we change pc's at work.

It's not complete, but may help you.

Word/Excel files:

FileName Use
custom.dic personal dictionary
*.acl personal autocorrect list
mssp2_en.exc personal exclusion dictionary
normal.dot default (for new documents) template
*.dot Any other templates you've made

*.xlb personal toolbar
book.xlt defaults for new workbooks
sheet.xlt defaults for new worksheets
personal.xl* personal macros
*.xlt Any other templates you've made

And don't forget any:
Local files (If you don’t store on LAN)
(Settings) Directories and other defaults (Tools|Options stuff)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP